Midwest reefers

bluey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. My wife and I are just coming back into the hobby again after we lost our dog last year. We've been running a smaller tank and are moving up to larger. Happy to see some other people closer to our area. Thanks and good to meet you all

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. My wife and I are just coming back into the hobby again after we lost our dog last year. We've been running a smaller tank and are moving up to larger. Happy to see some other people closer to our area. Thanks and good to meet you all
Make sure to apply to be a Midwest reefer so I can approve you. Details are at the beginning of the post.

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Is there a separate thread for just general conversation questions? Or is this the thread. Relatively new to the group so not sure how the group thing all works.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys! Is there a separate thread for just general conversation questions? Or is this the thread. Relatively new to the group so not sure how the group thing all works.
me either.. questions ask away...:cool:

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone from Illinois? Specifically Will County, Joliet area? What is your favorite LFS, have had issues recently with quality from mine, and interested in checking g out some new places.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CLAY CO.here lots of corals... ;)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone from Illinois? Specifically Will County, Joliet area? What is your favorite LFS, have had issues recently with quality from mine, and interested in checking g out some new places.

i have no answer for this one, Chicago is pretty terrible in general for LFS. Patiently waiting for reefapalooza...

if I had to say one I would def say “tank it easy” in Chicago but they are only open 2 days a week on fri and sat as they are a services company, however they have been holding better coral and fish lately with very solid equipment as well (just ask if you don’t see, most is in the back). Staff all very knowledgeable too, all 100% hobbyists.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess it all depends what your looking for. IMO and if you have not been there you have no clue but voytech‘s reef maybe rename to mega Corals now has got to be the best place around definitely in Chicago to find rare high end beautiful Corals. He does not sell fish or anything else only corals and you will be amazed at the selection that he has I guarantee you’ve never been to a store that has what he has. You must call or text or reach him on Facebook to make appointment. It is out of his basement but I promise you that you will not be disappointed.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

me either.. questions ask away...:cool:

Looks like we actually have a “local”forum…it’s hidden in that state up north’s (Michigan) section of the local club forums

I could be wrong and could be unrelated but looks related to me

OneSockERock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aurora here, might be a little bit of trek for you, but my favorites are Blue Line Coral in Naperville, Reef Plus in North Aurora and Gingerbread also in Naperville.

A lot of good coral at Blue Line for good prices, have some fish too but heavier on the coral, cheapest snails I've seen around and the dudes are really cool. My go-to spot this year.

Reef Plus is smaller, heavier on the fish/inverts than coral but the guy is super knowledgeable and friendly. Great prices and super clean every time I've been.

Gingerbread is about even split fish/coral, plus a smaller freshwater section. Closer to you as well. Nice coral at decent prices. A lot of really different fish come through there, I swear they look at the wholesaler list and just pick out fish that sound cool and unique. Not gonna lie, I would do the same if I owned a fish store. An unusual amount of dead fish last time I was there though...

You probably already know about Aquarium Adventure (Petland) in Bolingbrook, big box style selection/price but super common to see a few fish flashing/dead in there. Coral is always looking rough too.

There's also a newer one that's supposed to be good at 59 and I88 in Naperville called Reef Design. I'm planning on checking it out this weekend.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back