MightyJet pump grinding sound

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Mighty Jet return pump on my IM 20 gal peninsula suddenly started making a loud grinding sound, as if there’s sand or something stuck in the impeller. I tried cleaning it but I have 0 clue how to get to the impeller. Does anyone know if access to the impeller is possible? So many things are going wrong with my tank it’s the cherry on top now. If the impeller cannot be accessed should I soak in vinegar or something? Thanks. Dont want to have to replace it :(

BCBD9D76-2800-41AD-A2D1-1745EC1211F4.jpeg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twist the white housing on the front of the pump counter clockwise to open it in order to get access to the impeller. The whole front of the pump (white housing) should separate easily from the main body (blue part) of the pump with just a simple twist.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twist the white housing on the front of the pump counter clockwise to open it in order to get access to the impeller. The whole front of the pump (white housing) should separate easily from the main body (blue part) of the pump with just a simple twist.
Awesome I will try it now!

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was super easy to get off now I feel stupid and can’t put it back on haha

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did it work? Was it an obstruction in the impeller housing? We’re you able to clean it out and put it back together?

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did it work? Was it an obstruction in the impeller housing? We’re you able to clean it out and put it back together?
Yes there was strands of filter floss stuck in the impeller! I was able to remove it and put it back together and the flow is even better than before now.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back