OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned down the flow a bit and all the corals look happier.

Still moving and flowing but they look more relaxed.
image.jpeg
These have bright neon green tips and blue centers. Very cool looking.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife had a hunch to check on the clowns. I said nahhhhhhhh. Well we went to look anyways and good thing we did.

One of the clowns was at the top almost on his side. Checked salinity as it's the only thing that could be off in the QT. Tested 1.021!!!!!!

Thank god I got the digital refractometer today. Mixed up some salt water a little stronger than my target and then added it gradually over about 10 minutes adding a little and then waiting on it to mix and then testing.

Got it up to 1.023 and the fish were visibly more comfortable and able to move better it seemed.

Now it's up to 1.024~1.025 and they're both swimming around like nothing happened.

I checked the water with my optical refractometer before adding the fish ... Good thing I got this digital one as apparently my eyesight is shot!

Will post an update in the morning. Hopefully I didn't stress them too much and they'll be ok.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked on the clowns and the little guy seemed to be acting funny again. Swimming at the top almost sideways. He would swim real hard like he was trying to jump out but didn't have the energy.

Went ahead and did two 80% changes back to back with fresh salt water. Almost immediately the little guy dove down and started hanging out with the other one in the corner of the tank after the first change. Went ahead and did a second in case something did make it into the tank.

They're both swimming together towards the bottom of the tank now and I've turned out the lights for them to relax. I do have two pieces of PVC pipe in there for them to hide in if they like.

I'm starting to wonder if something didn't make its way into my QT setup. The water that was in it I mixed up yesterday.

Not much more I can do but hope he recovers from the stress. Saved the water I drained out of the QT so I can test it tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peeked in on them and they both seem to be relaxing under the heater in the corner still.

I have read some clowns will do funny things at night. Sleeping sideways or upside down - if he was just chilling I wouldn't have worried but his apparent frantic efforts to jump out had me worried.

Since the water changes no more frantic swimming so far. Will peek in the morning.

Reefhabit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your new reef!
It's always exciting starting up a new reef tank and watching it progress.
Salinity of 1.021 shouldn't be an issue for the fish. I believe 1.021-1.022 for fish only system is fine.
For fish and inverts 1.023-1.025 seems to be the preferred range by most people.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue was more that they came from 1.025 and were then put in 1.021 without acclimation (besides temperature) as I tested and verified my salinity matched [apparently I was wrong!]

Went and peeked. They're both definitely relaxing now. Neither was swimming frantic just sort of chilling.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup, and great progress.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown fish are doing good. Got the new RO/DI setup. Also built a storage/work area for the fish area.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transferred the clown fish for the 2nd time as a part of the TTM. They seem to be happy considering the empty tank.

Also added a 2x2's to the top and bottom of my bench backer as it was wobbling and getting annoying.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 32. Added the two clown fish earlier today. Also a couple of serpent stars from @Naiad were added earlier in the week.

The corals have grown a bit. The star polyps are definitely wanting to spread so we moved a rock closer for them.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger of the two clowns has taken to my hammer coral. It swims along the top and stays very close to it. It's been staying right there swimming around gently rubbing against it all day.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 47 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 54 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.5%
Back