MikeDVB's First Reef Tank - From Day 1

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

So I've been enjoying this so far and I'm only up to day 23 :). Some pictures of the tank as it progressed over the first 23 days so far and will post new updates as I add/change things and as time goes on.

Day 1: :)
day1.jpg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 16
image.jpeg
Algae is growing really well where sunlight hits the tank. Put a cover on the left side to help keep it at bay.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 21
image.jpeg
Moved the ORP and Ph probes up so they weren't completely submerged after this picture.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple of clown fish.

Doing TTM so they're in quarantine for at least 14 days.
image.jpeg
Just noticed it looks like 4 due to the reflection. :)

Also picked up 3 soft corals.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

They're all closed up from being transported and dipped and acclimated. The green one has already come back out and I'll take some new pics shortly.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns are young perculas. One is ever so slightly larger than the other. They were hosting a bubble tip anenome in the LFS tank.

The tank also has some Nassarius snails, nerite snails, dwarf ceriths, Florida ceriths, and a couple of blue legged hermit crabs.

Algae was growing pretty good but most of it looks to be turning brown and dying and comes off by hand easily. Also my Nassarius snails and stomatella seem to be making quick work of the GHA.

I just watched one of the Nassarius cut long GHA down at the base and devour it. They're actually making clean spots.

I've been putting a few sinking pellets in per day for the snails and crabs as I wanted to make sure they had food and didn't die. 30% water changes every week to help keep nutrients in check.

Had one rock completely covered in bryopsis and I took it out and boiled it and soaked it in peroxide. Rock looks nice and white now and bryopsis hasn't returned on it so far. Did have some on the glass but manual removal and siphoning has knocked it back.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, looking really nice so far!!:)
Thanks!

Welcome welcome. Off to a great start
Hope so. Trying not to be impatient. That said I'm fine with doing water changes to keep water parameters stable.

Was patiently waiting on the background to be added. Much cleaner! Keep it up
Haha yeah it looks much better. Thinking I may just get the next tank with the back already black or attach black vinyl outside before filling.

Looking good- keep the pictures up!
Thanks! Will do ;-).

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Star polyps finally opened up and a couple of my hermit crabs are chilling.

Hard to get good photos at night.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back