OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"don't go high" they said about the scape.
WRONG!
bubbletip x2 091920.jpg

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a recent icp test showed high aluminum.
MarinePureBio Blocks are known to leach aluminum.
I have (had) five of the 8x8x4 blocks in the sump.
I didn't know this before putting them into my system.
I've lost quite a few corals over the two years the tank has been up.
Always with great growth for many months to over a year, be it size or in additional polyps, and then crashing within a matter of days to two weeks. And always in the order they were placed into the system. I wish there was somewhere I could send some before a complete crash to verify it is aluminum poisoning, but my guess is they reach a saturation point and then die.
So yesterday I removed four of the five blocks (I'll remove the fifth after testing for a week to make sure I don't get any spikes) and replaced them with 8 liters of the SeaChem Matrix.
Fun exercise as some of them float until the air is pushed out of the pores. One got by me undetected until it got sucked into the return pump. Thank goodness for auto shutoff when the impeller gets jammed.
Thank goodness I soft piped it to the pvc and was able to work on clearing it without having to disconnect it. (time was an issue as we were meeting mom and dad for dinner.)
Got the pump cleared and back on. Dumped in a bottle of bacteria to fast start the Matrix.
No fish floating so it looks like everything survived the night. Testing later this afternoon when the lights pop on.
bioblock.jpg

Something at some point was tunneling into the block.
Other people have complained about the blocks crumbling. That was never an issue for me. I was concerned, after reading those reviews, that they would come apart when I removed them.

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I removed the 4 bio blocks as previously mentioned.
my worse fear, well one of, has occurred.
my sump is filled with aiptasia which never bother me as I only ever had one in the DT.
pretty sure my now deceased copperband took care of any, if there were any, in the DT.
one escaped the sump into the DT.
luckily it is in reach so I can wack it. now what to do about all the ones in the DT?
having a hard time buying another copperband at the price they are asking.
waiting for a PETCO/PetSmart $1/gallon sale and replacing the DIY sump would be cheaper.:rolleyes:

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank
This past July you did 3 20% water changes to bring your NO3 down from off the chart, down to 50/60.
Did you notice and improvements in your corals after this?

OP
OP
sp1187

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank
This past July you did 3 20% water changes to bring your NO3 down from off the chart, down to 50/60.
Did you notice and improvements in your corals after this?
thanks.
sorry for the late reply.
not really. I had another issue. high aluminum. I've removed all of the MarinePure Bio blocks (5) as they are known to leach aluminum. I didn't know this at the time I setup the tank. I replaced them with SeaChem Matrix (a lot of) and have been doing weekly 30g water changes since the end of September. I've purchased a second ICP test but haven't had time to send it out yet.
since starting all of this, I've lost multiple blasto merletti colonies,and 2 smaller toadstool leathers. why? don't know.
in the meantime branching hammer has two new heads, the suncoral is doing exceptional, the chili is opening up again, monti's and blue ridge are showing growth and my zoas and mushrooms have gone crazy.
NO3 is still in the40/50 range. I feed heavy. no skimmimg. algae scrubber in the sump.

Back