OP
OP
tablesalt

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living the dream. Just 5 gallons a month of water change, keep the ATO full, pull out half the fuge weeds every month, and feed them pellets every day. I will feed frozen food once a week or so and turkey baster some 2 year old reef roids. Simple is better sometimes.

20200514_124046.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the tank doing?

OP
OP
tablesalt

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta get some updated pictures... Everything has been growing out of control. Had to sell/donate a bunch of stuff. I have hundreds if not a thousand zoas now. About to give my boss my leather because it's taking up 1/2 the sunlight in the tank. My first SPS has been doing well and doubled in size over 6 months so I'm adding in a few more. Completely removed the skimmer. Everything is happy and healthy. Still doing 5 gallons a month water changes and adding some trace calcium and Iodine every few weeks but thats it.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20201121_171917.jpg
    thumbnail_20201121_171917.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 34
  • thumbnail_20201121_171935.jpg
    thumbnail_20201121_171935.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
tablesalt

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better photo after almost 3 years. Leather is taking over so it has to go soon.
20201201_174341.jpg

OP
OP
tablesalt

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months later and the tank is doing great! I ended up rehoming the leather with a friend as it was just getting too large. I am slowly adding more SPS coral to the tank as the birdsnes in the back is exploding... Well.. .really everything is.I am slowly shifting over to slower and harder to grow things as the tank fills out as it is difficult to keep things in check. Reef keeping is so much easier than it was 15 years ago when I tried it in college.
20210210_170922.jpg

OP
OP
tablesalt

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since an update, but everything is growing like crazy. I have been slowly rotating in some SPS corals, and they are all taking off. I actually had to prune back the birdsnest as they were overshadowing my ACANs. The Utter chaos zoas I added have gone from 2 to 7 heads in 3 months.

Lost a clown after 2 years, added a flameback angel and an arrow crab, and a few more corals (see foreground)

Loving it!

1x per month 5 gallon water changes and putting in bottled calcium now.

20210523_172913.jpg

Attachments

• 20210523_172913.jpg
    20210523_172913.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
tablesalt

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank 2222222.jpg
Tank is continuing to thrive!

A few of my harder to keep SPS corals have slowed down, but all is well. Others are growing fast enough I am forced to give stuff away again. This year I have given away a large leather coral that has exploded in a buddies tank, and just gave away about a dozen green hammers and as many SPS corals... mostly birds nest corals.

It is a hard decision when you have to peel back SPS corals because they are encroaching on your Acans.

I keep catching my kids staring into the tank, they all like the creepy crawlies more than the fish.
kevin.jpg

Attachments

• kevin.jpg
    kevin.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 24
  • tank 2222222.jpg
    tank 2222222.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 24

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a hermit crab last night as a canary to make sure everything was good to go. Kids are losing their minds now watching this little guy. Little do they know that a pair of clowns and the clean up crew are showing up tonight. They have dubbed him, "Shelly Krusty Boat". Am looking forward to the other names they create for the fish.

20180123_182122.jpg
What an awesome photo of future reefers. Enjoying watching your progress.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave in, turned the lights down a bit, and mounted the frags straight to the rock. Everybody seems to be happy and doing well, but in my haste I managed to let super glue get into a couple of the true blue hornets. I know I nuked atleast one, but am still holding out hope for the others.

There is a tailspot Blenny in there now (Sheldon) along with a Fire Red Shrimp (Lady-Glitter-Sparkles) and everything seems to be doing well. Sheldon seems to have taken up residence in the barnacles, is hesitant to come out when we are near the tank, but the minute we walk a few feet back he comes out and starts pecking at the rocks. He's very interesting to watch. He seems to be eating mysis, but won't touch small algae strips when in the tank. The fire shrimp just hides all day.

With the exception of putting a net cover on my tank, I think I'm going to sit back and enjoy the tank and not mess with it again until at least March. The only things left I'd like to do is add a pink streaked wrasse, springiri dottyback, yellow clown goby, and maybe a skunk cleaner shimp. However, I think the best thing to do right now is be patient and wait until next month before adding the pink streaked wrasse and maybe the yellow clown goby.

I think I'm going to let the green button polyps and yellow polyps grow out on their little island for a few months, then trade them in (and some cash) for some Ricordia frags.

All in all, everything is healthy.

I'm dumping in a capful of Iodine once per week (per instructions) feeding pellets every other day with Mysis the alternating days, doing a 5 gallon water change bi-weekly, feeding reef roids sparingly 2x per week, adding 1 teaspoon of Kalk to every 5 gallons of ATO and wiping down the glass daily. Water quality is so far pristine.

I am enjoying the tank and if I can keep my hands out of it for a while, am looking forward to enjoying my tank with relatively low maintenance for years to come.

My first official polyp count/ census will come the first week of March.
20180215_154331.jpg
20180215_154322.jpg
20180215_154245.jpg
Love the progress. I have a nice barnacle piece that I was going to use when I set my up but decided against it as it looked like a great place for detritus to settle. May still add it with a barnacle blenny. Good luck with your fire shrimp. I had one that set up its cleaning station in the rocks and wouldn't come out except to eat. Someone suggested it needed a "mate" so I bought another. Turned out to be a mistake. Although they are fun to watch one of them is very aggressive and picks on my zoas and mushrooms all the time. Hope your single shrimp will leave yours alone. You have some beautiful zoas with lots of potential.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%

Back