Milwaukee refractometer not calibrating correctly

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this thing for a few years and as far as I could tell, it's been amazing. I recently got an apex and I'm getting some weird salinity readings. blaxsun was very helpful while I was calibrating that and I'm confident I did it correctly. My salinity according to apex has gone from 33.4 to 32.4 overnight. I turned my skimmer on for the first time yesterday so I'm wondering if that's causing the drop in salinity. Long story short, I recalibrated my milwaukee to double check and everytime I read the calibration fluid that is supposed to be 1.025 I am getting 1.027. I've done it 3 times. I zero with the distilled water and then check with the 1.025. Any chance I got a bad fluid?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is the reference solution that came with the Milwaukee then mine never read right either. I threw my bottle away and made my own reference solution and the Milwaukee read it perfectly.

Also, I warn you against trusting the Apex salinity probe too much. It's well known that it's kinda finicky. Don't make any changes to your tank based off its reading without double checking it first.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this thing for a few years and as far as I could tell, it's been amazing. I recently got an apex and I'm getting some weird salinity readings. blaxsun was very helpful while I was calibrating that and I'm confident I did it correctly. My salinity according to apex has gone from 33.4 to 32.4 overnight. I turned my skimmer on for the first time yesterday so I'm wondering if that's causing the drop in salinity. Long story short, I recalibrated my milwaukee to double check and everytime I read the calibration fluid that is supposed to be 1.025 I am getting 1.027. I've done it 3 times. I zero with the distilled water and then check with the 1.025. Any chance I got a bad fluid?
depending on how long you've had it, small amounts of evaporation can also cause it to go from 1.025 to 1.027... I'd say buy a new bottle of calibration fluid and try again.

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on how long you've had it, small amounts of evaporation can also cause it to go from 1.025 to 1.027... I'd say buy a new bottle of calibration fluid and try again.
The fluid I just bought yesterday.

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get some new fluid Tuesday. Store is closed tomorrow. See how that goes

OP
OP
K

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did end up making it to the store yesterday and brought the refractometer with me. They tested their water with it and it was reading correctly so we came to the conclusion that it was the calibration fluid. They offered me a refund and I left with a Bicolor angel lol. It was only partially an impulse buy because I have been looking at angels for awhile now. The day before they had a very good looking flame angel but it was gone yesterday so I got the bicolor

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back