Mimic tang harassing my new Foxface

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bicolor foxface got sick and passed away recently. Don’t know how old she was but I had her for over 5 years. Got along great with my tangs.

just got a smaller magnificent foxface and everyone in tank (including purple tang and regal tang) are cool. However my mimic lemon peel tang is being an butt. The foxface holds its own and actually ate the first time I fed her.

when she wasn’t sticking her spines out and being harassed by mimic tang she’d still grab some flake food.
Hopefully they can work it out.
She’ll retreat occasionally behind rocks but still come out in about 30 seconds.

it’s only been an hour so we’ll see.

I’ve heard a foxface can hold their own.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine can be annoying on few new fish additions as well..aggression usually subsides by day 2-3. Still can be quite harsh on a stressed fish so maybe an i tradition box can help a bit..

OP
OP
Desperado

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's weird for it to act like that usually mimic tangs are very peaceful
I know. Not that it matters but she lived peacefully with a foxface for years (I know it was a different foxface :)

To smaller fish my flame hawk can be a jerk at first. My purple tang usually is the prima Donna. Never seen aggression from my mimic tang until now. Everyone talks about hippo tangs being bullies but mine is 8 years old and as gentle as can be.
Guess you never know. They are in a 220 gal tank so I don’t feel like I’ve crowded them but I guess nothing can replace the ocean :)

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. Not that it matters but she lived peacefully with a foxface for years (I know it was a different foxface :)

To smaller fish my flame hawk can be a jerk at first. My purple tang usually is the prima Donna. Never seen aggression from my mimic tang until now. Everyone talks about hippo tangs being bullies but mine is 8 years old and as gentle as can be.
Guess you never know. They are in a 220 gal tank so I don’t feel like I’ve crowded them but I guess nothing can replace the ocean :)
Yea i have a chocolate/mimic tang and a hippo tang as well and they are like the most peaceful fish ive ever owned

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the mirror trick and also couple picks of other tangs or fox face stuck to the glass it will die down eventually. I had recent success of adding a silver spot tang to a yellow by preparing a week before I added it I would have my ipad on the glass playing you tube vids of the fish I wanted to get and have a pic stuck to the tank and moving it every day and when I introduced the silver spot tang I had about 2 hours of very mild aggression from the yellow and that was it worth knowing for the future maybe

OP
OP
Desperado

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Gonna try mirror trick.

20A4523D-6CFD-46B3-89A7-212389DC2CDA.jpeg

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much. Fox Faces can not only hold their own but also cause death to the harassers over time. I had a new addition Fox Face into an established tank with a bunch of tangs. Two Yellows constantly harassed the Fox Face and by day 3, one the Yellows were dead from being spiked. The other Yellow leaves him alone now.

OP
OP
Desperado

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just monitor it maybe stick it one end instead all the way across wish I could do the mirror trick on my 4 kids lol
i put a smaller mirror on one end. that kept the mimic tang and copper band occupied. today took mirror down. everyone swimming and eating together :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its the yellow that has triggered the tang.
Agree on the mirror trick. Also turning off white lights places the tang on guard and nori seaweed keeps the tang occupied.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back