Mindstream Aquarium Monitor

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with a friend with chemistry schooling and experience and he has worked with similar sensors to what this device will use. He says the accuracy can be +/- 0.1% or better if calibrated properly. This is done through fluorescing optical system which is supposed to be very accurate. My understanding is that once the device is calibrated, it doesn't need to be re-calibrated, just new media.

If true, and Mindstream parameters measure with similar accuracy, than this device (added with a controller that can dose the relevant parameters that are being measured in real time) will be a game changer and must have for so many who enjoy automation. There are just so many possibilities that can come from this. Very exciting! I hope they deliver

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If true, and Mindstream parameters measure with similar accuracy, than this device (added with a controller that can dose the relevant parameters that are being measured in real time) will be a game changer and must have for so many who enjoy automation. There are just so many possibilities that can come from this. Very exciting! I hope they deliver

Well they are about to release a campaign or something similar news within the next week (Monday, Tuesday) and they will be at MACNA in Sept so I think its safe to assume they are close to releasing the product, at least we can hope.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with a friend with chemistry schooling and experience and he has worked with similar sensors to what this device will use. He says the accuracy can be +/- 0.1% or better if calibrated properly. This is done through fluorescing optical system which is supposed to be very accurate. My understanding is that once the device is calibrated, it doesn't need to be re-calibrated, just new media.

Except there's no such device for alkalinity. They will have to get it indirectly through several measurements (pH, salinity, temperature, and CO2) and then do some calculations. How well that works remains to be seen. It is most definitely not how oceanographers measure alkalinity.

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except there's no such device for alkalinity. They will have to get it indirectly through several measurements (pH, salinity, temperature, and CO2) and then do some calculations. How well that works remains to be seen. It is most definitely not how oceanographers measure alkalinity.

Correct, Alk can have the biggest +/- which mean's I won't be throwing my Hanna checker away and I'm OK with that. I hate checking color changing tests as I'm partially colorblind and I much rather prefer numbers over colors.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, Alk can have the biggest +/- which mean's I won't be throwing my Hanna checker away and I'm OK with that. I hate checking color changing tests as I'm partially colorblind and I much rather prefer numbers over colors.

FWIW, you can do an alk titration with a pH meter instead of the colored dye. :)

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great device to have but not cost effective. $700 + $360/year= $1060 the first year. I'm a big fan of Hanna ($50/tester) and Salifert. Cost is my only problem here.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll send my drone out for more info to come.
Like Randy said about ALK testing, I think we all like to know how they do it to come to a result of just that.
If Triton can't do it with a Million $$$ Equipment how come a $700 will tell you in a heart-beat.

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, you can do an alk titration with a pH meter instead of the colored dye. :)
I find using Hanna Alk cheker much friendlier :) and it gives me NUMBERS

Sounds like a great device to have but not cost effective. $700 + $360/year= $1060 the first year. I'm a big fan of Hanna ($50/tester) and Salifert. Cost is my only problem here.

Mmm... I thought the speculation for the price of the disk is 30-35 and they last for 90 days which would be a cost of 120-140$ a month.
Price was speculated to be under 600$ (but that was a year or so ago)

Also I still think this is worth it as so far I had to change two impellers on my BK skimmer due to snails getting stuck in there along with a wet side on a MP40 and have to most likely change the bearings on the MP40 as it ran against a ceased wet-side for a entire night and day. This could have easily been avoided if I was monitoring the O2 levels in the tank and a alarm would have been triggered in case there was a drastic change.
I use Red Sea test kits for K and Mg which are a pain to do in terms of color and time consuming, so this controller would come in handy if its accurate enough.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find using Hanna Alk cheker much friendlier :) and it gives me NUMBERS

Mmm... I thought the speculation for the price of the disk is 30-35 and they last for 90 days which would be a cost of 120-140$ a month.
Price was speculated to be under 600$ (but that was a year or so ago)

Also I still think this is worth it as so far I had to change two impellers on my BK skimmer due to snails getting stuck in there along with a wet side on a MP40 and have to most likely change the bearings on the MP40 as it ran against a ceased wet-side for a entire night and day. This could have easily been avoided if I was monitoring the O2 levels in the tank and a alarm would have been triggered in case there was a drastic change.
I use Red Sea test kits for K and Mg which are a pain to do in terms of color and time consuming, so this controller would come in handy if its accurate enough.

I missed the 90day schedule oops. $120-140/year for maintenance is better. I'm a poor reefer. Darn it, hate being a SPS, LPS etc. Addict. I have to have my sticks. P1000951.JPG $400 for these 3 Acro's. Wahhh

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July 24:

It's been an incredibly exciting week here at Step Ahead Innovations, and we can't wait to share some big news with you on Monday. Be sure and check back with us then -- we think you'll be glad you did!

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a kick starter was unexpected

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't get charged until the funding goal is reached.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't get charged until the funding goal is reached.

Yes you right, I forgot that.
Thanks!

So officially I got this message............
Woo-hoo!
You are now an official backer of MindStream Aquarium Monitor.
If this project is successfully funded, the creator will send you a survey to collect information needed to deliver your reward.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you right, I forgot that.
Thanks!

So officially I got this message............
Woo-hoo!
You are now an official backer of MindStream Aquarium Monitor.
If this project is successfully funded, the creator will send you a survey to collect information needed to deliver your reward.
Which reward did you choose, if I may ask?

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for $495 in advance you can be one of the first owners of a Mindstream Monitor + Disc + T-shirt in December.
It's part of a project with a goal of $300.000 if goal isn't reached the deal is off and money will be refunded.
Tell me if I'm wrong.

Correct.
I went with the December delivery as well.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $1000 pledge with a year long free disc was a option too.
Knowing that the disc will last 90 days or three months give and take and they run $35 per disc I thought $500 for just 3 disc is a bit much.
Just hoping that they will have plenty of disc available after January.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $1000 pledge with a year long free disc was a option too.
Knowing that the disc will last 90 days or three months give and take and they run $35 per disc I thought $500 for just 3 disc is a bit much.
Just hoping that they will have plenty of disc available after January.
But I think they only run for a month..

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back