OP
OP
M_norrick

M_norrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you ask them to replace the whole unit with a new one, so they can ship back the faulty one and do the problem determination at their own facility. Even if it means I have to wait another week to get mine. ;)
If things don’t get lined out soon, I plan to do exactly that. I did ask them to waive one month fee due to not having a fully functional unit. I took a video of the unit for them this evening so hopefully they will have a remedy soon. Time will tell. Too expensive to have these kinds of issues.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If things don’t get lined out soon, I plan to do exactly that. I did ask them to waive one month fee due to not having a fully functional unit. I took a video of the unit for them this evening so hopefully they will have a remedy soon. Time will tell. Too expensive to have these kinds of issues.
Agreed!

That said - It could be something with the WiFi. I've gone around and around with EcoTech a couple of times on WiFi issues with the Reeflink. Have they asked you to change the WiFi channel for troubleshooting purposes or move the unit to a different location in your house with a bucket of water to see if the unit starts working?

OP
OP
M_norrick

M_norrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no luck finding the issue. I did take a longer video of the unit after a reboot so they could see the lighting sequence after the unit takes a measurement. I was hoping to hear something back before they closed for the day but nada. My router is literally within 4 foot of the mindstream so my network shouldn’t be an issue. I proved this by unplugging my router and observed the mindstream. It immediately became angry and flashed red. I then plugged the router back in and the mindstream reconnected and became green again. I am betting it is something with the cloud or the unit itself

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no luck finding the issue. I did take a longer video of the unit after a reboot so they could see the lighting sequence after the unit takes a measurement. I was hoping to hear something back before they closed for the day but nada. My router is literally within 4 foot of the mindstream so my network shouldn’t be an issue. I proved this by unplugging my router and observed the mindstream. It immediately became angry and flashed red. I then plugged the router back in and the mindstream reconnected and became green again. I am betting it is something with the cloud or the unit itself

Try pinging the Mindstream from command line on your PC. See if it is really communicating. Then try navigating to the device in your browser and see if it has a GUI. You can do this by typing the IP address into the address bar. If you can see the device on your network, and you are able to ping it, then that would mean it is communicating fine. Then comes the web connection. I don't know your expertise in computers, so let me know if you need help with the commands.

Is the web app the only way to access the data? If so, do you need to allow port forwarding in your router to let it communicate to the web?

OP
OP
M_norrick

M_norrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try pinging the Mindstream from command line on your PC. See if it is really communicating. Then try navigating to the device in your browser and see if it has a GUI. You can do this by typing the IP address into the address bar. If you can see the device on your network, and you are able to ping it, then that would mean it is communicating fine. Then comes the web connection. I don't know your expertise in computers, so let me know if you need help with the commands.

Is the web app the only way to access the data? If so, do you need to allow port forwarding in your router to let it communicate to the web?
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I do not know the IP address of the monitor. When first set up, the monitor is displayed almost as if it were a hot spot on a mobile device to establish the communication for the first time. The web app is the only way I can access the needed data unfortunately. Hopefully in the future they will integrate "localized" readings so one can get the info without being on the web but unfortunately that would go against the subscription business model.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I do not know the IP address of the monitor. When first set up, the monitor is displayed almost as if it were a hot spot on a mobile device to establish the communication for the first time. The web app is the only way I can access the needed data unfortunately. Hopefully in the future they will integrate "localized" readings so one can get the info without being on the web but unfortunately that would go against the subscription business model.

You can see the IP address from your router. Go to your router's IP address and see what devices are connected.

OP
OP
M_norrick

M_norrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the IP address from your router. Go to your router's IP address and see what devices are connected.
You are correct. I was able to find the IP address and ping the device. Zero issues. There is an update for my router that I am currently doing. Hopefully that is all it needed was a good ole router update.. time will tell. Thank you very much for the help.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like the issue here isn't the local network since you are able to communicate with the device. What kind of firewall settings do you have enacted on your router? Maybe turn off the firewall and see if it works. If it does work, then there are some methods to see what port the device is communicating on. You can try forwarding those ports so they don't get blocked by the firewall.

OP
OP
M_norrick

M_norrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mindstream pushed a firmware update to my device last night around 11pm. When I got up this morning, I performed a hard reboot. Been working flawlessly since (knock on wood). Data has been updating every 15 min on the web app. I am a very pleased customer so far.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mindstream pushed a firmware update to my device last night around 11pm. When I got up this morning, I performed a hard reboot. Been working flawlessly since (knock on wood). Data has been updating every 15 min on the web app. I am a very pleased customer so far.
Interesting... Did they happen to tell you what the firmware fixed did they?

Thanks for the update!

OP
OP
M_norrick

M_norrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... Did they happen to tell you what the firmware fixed did they?

Thanks for the update!
No they sure didn’t. I didn’t even know they did it. I simply rebooted the mindstream due to it being offline. Data started filling every 15 minute data point so I reached out to them asking if they did anything on their end. That is when they told me about the firmware update.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they sure didn’t. I didn’t even know they did it. I simply rebooted the mindstream due to it being offline. Data started filling every 15 minute data point so I reached out to them asking if they did anything on their end. That is when they told me about the firmware update.
It's good to hear they are able to solve it for you. I'm looking forward to getting mine. I need to check back with them to get an update on when they plan to ship.

OP
OP
M_norrick

M_norrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that it is running as it should I have zero regrets dropping the cash on it. It gives me a layer of insurance that my reef is good to go while I am away from home.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that it is running as it should I have zero regrets dropping the cash on it. It gives me a layer of insurance that my reef is good to go while I am away from home.
+1000

I don't have mine yet, but this was one of the biggest purchase decisions for me. I travel for days at a time at least every two months. Having that extra insurance to catch something within minutes of going out of tolerance is a huge benefit IMO. If it saves me from one crash, it will pay for its self immediately.

It's like paying for a babysitter that's testing 10 parameters every 15 minutes 24x7x365 and reporting the results to you.

OP
OP
M_norrick

M_norrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that its been running for a week or so, how is everything doing?
It has been running great as far as plotting a reading every 15 min so far. The only issue I am having now is my alk showing around 2 DKH higher than both Hanna and salifert. They are aware of the issue I am having and actually offerered to test my water at mindstream for me to see if the issue lies with the mindstream or the other testing I did. I think that is pretty cool they are going to do that for me.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following..i thought mindstream reads a different all form.. so really not apple to apple comparison

Will-Yum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick it on the side of a small bucket or bowl of your tank water. Then put it next to your router to see if it's your wifi connection.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back