Flame Hawk
Scooter
Pair of clowns

Adding to the 180 when set up wish list:
Anthais (probably 5 or 3)
Dwarf Flame angel
Couple blue line cleaner wrasses
McCosker Wrasse (or 3)
2 Blue Jaw triggers (pair to make male less shy)
Twin spot goby or some kind of goby
2 cardinals

My showcase will be my two blue jaws. Wanting to know if this sounds like too much. What would you take away? I like really unique fish. I feel like this might be a little "boring" I like Lots of color, and various swimming space. If you have any advice, it would be welcome. I know there is some debate as to two blue jaws in a 180. I could do just 1, but thought they are less shy with a partner! Going to be a while before I am fully stocked - if you want to follow my build, here is the link!
Thanks in advance for stock advice! :)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-180-build-mini-coops-dream-tank.327141/

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned "boring" and "lots of color". I wouldn't count on the blue jaws being your showfish. I have a pair in my 210 and I would call them "boring", for triggers. They are about 7" now and their color seems to be more of a blue/steel grey; they are pretty much the background fish in my tank. I have friends that come over and would love to take them off my hands, I just wouldn't call them showfish. As far as tank size goes they really don't cover alot of real estate, so a pair would be fine. They tend to be more shy, than not. I give you this opinion because I too have searched for this "showfish" and sometimes think my tank is boring.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you interested in any other tangs? Powder blue/brown/gold rim can be striking additions if you're willing to do a full quarantine since they tend to be more susceptible to disease. White Tail Bristletooth and Chevrons are also pretty unique fish although a bit more pricey. I think the Midas Blenny is also a very unique fish due to it having a striking yellow body and a pretty unique body shape/swimming motion/lounging behavior.

I personally am not a huge fan of blue jaw triggers but that's mostly because I've never had one bold enough to show a personality. I think going 5+ on anthias would also be beneficial. In my experience they tend to do better in larger numbers depending on which species and how aggressive the male(s) act. I love bartlett anthias but I have terrible luck with them. Multiple males tend to always show up randomly out of nowhere despite months of them being happy in the tank. I think I'll try Lyretails next.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the mckosker wrasse only keep one, but you could do a mckosker with two other species of flasher wrasse.

Don't get a price of cleaner wrasses, stick to only one. They can be a nuisance to tankmates with their cleaning behavior, so two would be doubly so.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out some fairy wrasses if you want a show fish. Plenty to choose from and if you choose carefully you can have multiples. Show fish don't have to be big, and fairy wrasses are far from boring in color.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned "boring" and "lots of color". I wouldn't count on the blue jaws being your showfish. I have a pair in my 210 and I would call them "boring", for triggers. They are about 7" now and their color seems to be more of a blue/steel grey; they are pretty much the background fish in my tank. I have friends that come over and would love to take them off my hands, I just wouldn't call them showfish. As far as tank size goes they really don't cover alot of real estate, so a pair would be fine. They tend to be more shy, than not. I give you this opinion because I too have searched for this "showfish" and sometimes think my tank is boring.

Thank you for the thoughts! I just live triggers. But I know there are very few that are reef safe!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you interested in any other tangs? Powder blue/brown/gold rim can be striking additions if you're willing to do a full quarantine since they tend to be more susceptible to disease. White Tail Bristletooth and Chevrons are also pretty unique fish although a bit more pricey. I think the Midas Blenny is also a very unique fish due to it having a striking yellow body and a pretty unique body shape/swimming motion/lounging behavior.

I personally am not a huge fan of blue jaw triggers but that's mostly because I've never had one bold enough to show a personality. I think going 5+ on anthias would also be beneficial. In my experience they tend to do better in larger numbers depending on which species and how aggressive the male(s) act. I love bartlett anthias but I have terrible luck with them. Multiple males tend to always show up randomly out of nowhere despite months of them being happy in the tank. I think I'll try Lyretails next.

Thank you so much!! I am definitely interested in other tangs. I just have heard a lot that they will be aggressive. With already having a sailfin, I was worried about adding more tangs. Can you share your thoughts on this?

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the mckosker wrasse only keep one, but you could do a mckosker with two other species of flasher wrasse.

Don't get a price of cleaner wrasses, stick to only one. They can be a nuisance to tankmates with their cleaning behavior, so two would be doubly so.

Thanks for the advice on cleaner Wrasse. I also love the purple firefish. So, McCosker and 2 carpenters would work? (also any advice on QT for McCosker would be great. I am 0/2 on QT for wrasses).

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the fact that triggers can eat your snails and crabs. Including any shrimp you might have.

I like tangs. I have 8 in a 210 gallon. Only aggression I have is the powder blue chases the blue hippo. Not enough to cause any damage, just likes chasing him. All are fat and healthy.

Wanting certain fish and what is available at your LFS can change your mind sometimes. Waiting for that special fish was always hard for me.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. So, McCosker and 2 carpenters would work? (also any advice on QT for McCosker would be great. I am 0/2 on QT for wrasses).
No, a mckosker, a carpenter, and another species will work. Only one specimen per species with fairy and flasher wrasses.

For qt, wrasses can handle copper, it just has to be brought up to therapeutic levels more slowly than directed.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah - good to know. I thought you had to do TTM. How slowly do you recommend? Is any particular type of copper better?
Any type af aquarium copper will be fine. Most instructions call for 2 doses over a few days to reach therapeutic levels. I recommend raising copper slowly over 10-14 days. Have carbon and a poly filter on hand to remove the copper quickly should the wrasse get stressed.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back