0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5 nitrate
ph 8
Alk 9 dkh
calcium 400
mag 1470
Phosphates 0

I had 4 clown fish for a while with those readings, I added 4 frags and obtained aptasia in one of my live rocks, so I decided to remove the live rock after failed attempted to get rid of it. A couple days later I am Getting the following readings with Red Sea test kit
Ammonia .4
Nitrite .2
Nitrate 10
Ph 8
Alk 7 dkh
Cal 420
Mag 1470
Phosphates 0

1. Could my tank me going through a mini cycle because I removed one of the live rocks?
2.is it okay I do a 20% water change or would it just go through the same thing again later?

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I had my 30 gallon reef tank cycled. My parameters were
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
5 nitrate
ph 8
Alk 9 dkh
calcium 400
mag 1470
Phosphates 0

I had 4 clown fish for a while with those readings, I added 4 frags and obtained aptasia in one of my live rocks, so I decided to remove the live rock after failed attempted to get rid of it. A couple days later I am Getting the following readings with Red Sea test kit
Ammonia .4
Nitrite .2
Nitrate 10
Ph 8
Alk 7 dkh
Cal 420
Mag 1470
Phosphates 0

1. Could my tank me going through a mini cycle because I removed one of the live rocks?
2.is it okay I do a 20% water change or would it just go through the same thing again later?[/QUOT

To clarify, there is no technical mini cycle. The tank continues to cycle from now and forever. However, we say completed cycle just because a cycle has enough of the bacteria to safely house life forms. What I believe you are experiencing is just an imbalance of BB to organic wastes. By removing the rock you removed an area where part of the BB colony lived. Causing a decrease in your BB colony.

I would just keep checking parameters and doing enough water changes to keep toxin levels down. Give it some time and this BB colony should catch up. This is just my take on it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes could be a mini cycle )sudden addition of ammoina), a water change is fine it won’t keep happening.
A dose of bottled bacteria or seachem prime will help along with the water change.

You just stirred up some gunk I think.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, there is no technical mini cycle. The tank continues to cycle from now and forever. However, we say completed cycle just because a cycle has enough of the bacteria to safely house life forms. What I believe you are experiencing is just an imbalance of BB to organic wastes. By removing the rock you removed an area where part of the BB colony lived. Causing a decrease in your BB colony.

I would just keep checking parameters and doing enough water changes to keep toxin levels down. Give it some time and this BB colony should catch up. This is just my take on it.
Agreed. Mini cycle is fairly poor slang term descriptive.

OP
OP
Chrisreef

Chrisreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the tank doing? I’m going through the same thing right now
Hey

The tank had gone up to 20ppm of nitrate and nitrites and ammonia are 0 I did a 10 gallon water change and nitrates at 10 now I’ll be doing another one tomorrow in hopes to get it down some more

Fir3ant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

The tank had gone up to 20ppm of nitrate and nitrites and ammonia are 0 I did a 10 gallon water change and nitrates at 10 now I’ll be doing another one tomorrow in hopes to get it down some more
Did it make your tank cloudy again also?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 31.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back