Mini Sandbed Clams

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Happy Holidays! Does anyone here know where o can purchase the same mini sandbed clams that IPSF used to sell?
They don't seem to sell them anymore and have not responded to multiple emails. I am not sure if they are still in business.
They were amazing creatures and did a lot for sandbed turnover and detritus removal.
Thanks!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Happy Holidays! Does anyone here know where o can purchase the same mini sandbed clams that IPSF used to sell?
They don't seem to sell them anymore and have not responded to multiple emails. I am not sure if they are still in business.
They were amazing creatures and did a lot for sandbed turnover and detritus removal.
Thanks!

Are you talking about these?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
So, IPSF said on their site that the clams were from the genus Tapes, and I’ve seen claims that the species is Tapes japonicus (japonica) - this is a synonym for the accepted species name of Ruditapes philippinarum, A.K.A. the manila clam. If so, you can find them just about anywhere that sells live seafoods in the U.S. (though at a minimum legal sale size of 1 1/2”, they’ll be much bigger than the ones available through IPSF.

That said, you can also get Coquina clams and Cross-barred Venus clams from places like ReefCleaners, and these may be similar in behavior (i.e. small sand-sifters) to what you’re looking for.

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, IPSF said on their site that the clams were from the genus Tapes, and I’ve seen claims that the species is Tapes japonicus (japonica) - this is a synonym for the accepted species name of Ruditapes philippinarum, A.K.A. the manila clam. If so, you can find them just about anywhere that sells live seafoods in the U.S. (though at a minimum legal sale size of 1 1/2”, they’ll be much bigger than the ones available through IPSF.

That said, you can also get Coquina clams and Cross-barred Venus clams from places like ReefCleaners, and these may be similar in behavior (i.e. small sand-sifters) to what you’re looking for.
Thank you so much!!! Really appreciate the advice!!! HAve a great day!

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IPSF still hasn't been answering. Do you know if they are still in business? Thanks!

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thjank you! I'd appreciate that as I have been trying to get a hold of them for over a month.Thanks! Happy New Year1!!!

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!!! Really appreciate the advice!!! HAve a great day!

Thanks again. I see that Reef Cleaners now has Cross-barred Venus clams in stock but they say they are filter feeders but there is no mention of sand sifting. What are your thoughts? They are not answering.
Appreciate this.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again. I see that Reef Cleaners now has Cross-barred Venus clams in stock but they say they are filter feeders but there is no mention of sand sifting. What are your thoughts? They are not answering.
Appreciate this.
Doing a bit more reading up on it, I don't know how much sand sifting they (or any other clam) do, but they do at least burrow.* So, I'd guess they're equivalent with the Coquina clam, but I could definitely be wrong; if you want a bigger burrowing clam, you can go with either Mercenaria campechiensis or Macrocallista nimbosa, both of which typically range from ~2.5-6".

You can find all three here (I believe you have to call to place an order though):

*Source for burrowing:

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a bit more reading up on it, I don't know how much sand sifting they (or any other clam) do, but they do at least burrow.* So, I'd guess they're equivalent with the Coquina clam, but I could definitely be wrong; if you want a bigger burrowing clam, you can go with either Mercenaria campechiensis or Macrocallista nimbosa, both of which typically range from ~2.5-6".

Thank you so much!!!

You can find all three here (I believe you have to call to place an order though):

*Source for burrowing:

Thank you so much!

OP
OP
Ron Primas

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

*Source for burrowing:
Thank you so much!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back