Minor buying marine fish

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im 16 and I've started my first tank, what I'm wondering is will I be able to purchase marine fish from something like petco? I don't have an lfs in my area, sometimes the workers give me flack for wanting to buy feeder guppies, saying that you need to be 18-24! In my area, I think they'll out right refuse to sell me any marine life, I hate to drag along my parents, it's just so troublesome, You'd know someone knows what their doing if they can proncouce the words Discosoma or Seriatopora

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have never thought this would be in issue. Maybe with something like a lionfish but not your average feeder guppie. I doubt there are laws against selling minors non venous specimens. But again maybe you should talk to them just to let them know you are in fact a responsible owner.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a form of payment. There is no "rule", "policy", "contract" etc that says you can't purchase fish. If you have the confidence to do so and these employees really are giving you flack about buying livestock I would go to their boss. They are overstepping their boundaries as employees. They ought to be able to tell from conversation that you are knowledgeable enough to maintain a tank. Perhaps that would be a bit more forward, but I have had people tell me I can't do something because I look like I'm 15 and I'm female. I have very little tolerance for people trying to tell me what I can/can't do.

OP
OP
Tyler_Fishman

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a form of payment. There is no "rule", "policy", "contract" etc that says you can't purchase fish. If you have the confidence to do so and these employees really are giving you flack about buying livestock I would go to their boss. They are overstepping their boundaries as employees. They ought to be able to tell from conversation that you are knowledgeable enough to maintain a tank. Perhaps that would be a bit more forward, but I have had people tell me I can't do something because I look like I'm 15 and I'm female. I have very little tolerance for people trying to tell me what I can/can't do.
I agree I do look a bit young for my age, but it's I feel it's still irresponsible for them to refuse to sell me something without a parent if I know what I'm talking about

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha!!! The only thing you have to worry about is them trying to take advantage of you and/or sell you things that your tank isn't ready for.

AtulR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's dumb. I'm not too much older than that. If you know what you're talking about, you'll never have a problem. If you do, find a different LFS

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily buy from petco either. Some are ok if they have good employees but many do not maintain their tanks well and the fish are often sick. I would look at the health of the fish very carefully. If you have a friend that is knowlegable, take them with.

Are you looking at expensive fish? They shouldn't care and I'm sure there are 16 year olds with credit cards. Agree maybe if it was something venomous.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't but a PETCO fish in my DT unless I had QT'd it first.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some stores do have policies about selling anything Live to minors.
Its nothing to do with the fact that they do not want to make the sale or they are just giving you a hard time, Nor does it have anything to do with you knowing what you are or arent doing with the animal.
This policy some stores have is directly linked to Parents coming back into the stores with a bad case of the chapped butt over a store selling their son/ daughter a live animal that they do not want in their home OR any number of reasons for being upset.
This may not be your case or your parents that have done this but the times that it has happened has caused some store owners to adopt such policies to avoid dealing with insanely mad parents wanting a refund and causing a stink.

A Good solution to this is what some others have said to develop a relationship with the employees, better yet have one of your parents come with you to the location and talk with the manager/ owner and explain to them that they are OK with you purchasing fish for your tank and do not really need you there from here on out.
Just food for thought is all.

Sometimes there are things that we do not like in life, there are plenty of folks that do not like being told you can or you cant though this is a part of life sometimes that we must deal with as there is always going to be rules, Laws and authority to answer to at some point in our lives and a ton of this exist in every day life as adults.
Good luck and happy reefing
BluewaterLa/ Mike

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife graduated pharmacy school and was 24 or 25 and watching her parents dog at their house when the cable guy showed up. She answered the door and he said "Are your parents home? I need someone over 18 present".

LOL!

Now at 30 she doesn't get that anymore but still looks young!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Petco stores I've been to won't sell fish to minors either. I'm almost 20 and still have the occasional employee ask if I have an ID.... even if I buy something such as a hermit crab.

They don't always ask though. Just try to act mature and 'adult like.' Lol

James Johnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petsmarts policy is you have to be 18+ to buy reptiles, birds and small animals because you have to sign a contract to buy them, but there is no restriction on fish. I would imagine Petco is the same.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand pet stores not selling to minors. Can you and your parents chat with the manager and get a note that allows you to?
You can do better that most petcos, mine has sub-par livestock. My petsmart has good freshwater, but it probably varies by store.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a crime here in the uk to sell to someone under 16. It wasn't that long ago that a grandma sold a goldfish to someone under age and she had to wear an electronic tag for two months, had a nightly curfew and was fined £1000.
When I ran a shop I had quite a few customers who were minors so had to have their parents buy things. They were normally very educated about what they were after whereas their parents were clueless.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back