Minor buying marine fish

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 16 and I've been refused fish at petco before, they said I had to be 18....even though I clearly knew more than the 30 year old who was asking about putting a turtle in a 10 gallon. My lfs has no issues selling to me though

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ^^
Some of the Petco employees around here aren't much better than the uneducated customers. My sister and I went recently to pick up a couple hermits for her new pico tank. When we asked the guy to bag them up he proceeded to ask us if we were aware that the animals were saltwater - all while standing right smack-dab in front of a sign labeled "saltwater." I'm sorry, but you'd need to be fairly thick to not catch that, let alone not know that hermits come from the sea.
To add to the lunacy, he also asked to see my ID, where he was promptly informed that yes, I can legally buy a hermit crab.

I also love when the people get snobby with you and say things like "what size tank do you have" as if you've spit in their morning coffee and they're trying to find a way to incriminate you. Not that checking for tank size isn't the right thing to do when selling fish, but I swear the Petco employees always do it like they expect me to tell them that I have an old mug in my car that the animal will be living in. Haha

Rob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ^^
Some of the Petco employees around here aren't much better than the uneducated customers. My sister and I went recently to pick up a couple hermits for her new pico tank. When we asked the guy to bag them up he proceeded to ask us if we were aware that the animals were saltwater - all while standing right smack-dab in front of a sign labeled "saltwater." I'm sorry, but you'd need to be fairly thick to not catch that, let alone not know that hermits come from the sea.
To add to the lunacy, he also asked to see my ID, where he was promptly informed that yes, I can legally buy a hermit crab.

I also love when the people get snobby with you and say things like "what size tank do you have" as if you've spit in their morning coffee and they're trying to find a way to incriminate you. Not that checking for tank size isn't the right thing to do when selling fish, but I swear the Petco employees always do it like they expect me to tell them that I have an old mug in my car that the animal will be living in. Haha
Thats great!!!!!

NewSaltWaterGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im 16 and I've started my first tank, what I'm wondering is will I be able to purchase marine fish from something like petco? I don't have an lfs in my area, sometimes the workers give me flack for wanting to buy feeder guppies, saying that you need to be 18-24! In my area, I think they'll out right refuse to sell me any marine life, I hate to drag along my parents, it's just so troublesome, You'd know someone knows what their doing if they can proncouce the words Discosoma or Seriatopora

I never thought that would even be an issue, if you can get to know the main workers and build up the rapport that you know what you doing/responsible, I'd hope they would be fine.
This is your best option.
I am also 16, same boat as you kind of, and I know the workers at Petco like we are best friends. (well the manager is a good friend, same with the people in the aquatic sections) so I'm sure if you make "friends" over the next week you will be fine, I get half of the stuff I want for free (not kidding).

Saumann7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ^^

Every time I go there they grill me about my tank size lol. Then every time my answer isn't correct for them so I've just started telling them it's big enough and I've done my research.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are doing you a big favor - most pet store chains sell fish that are far from healthy. Please find a good local fish store to frequent. Once you do, learn as much as you can, but be skeptical and check the veracity of what you hear on the forums.

Bruce
The Petco stores I've been to won't sell fish to minors either. I'm almost 20 and still have the occasional employee ask if I have an ID.... even if I buy something such as a hermit crab.

They don't always ask though. Just try to act mature and 'adult like.' Lol

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we asked the guy to bag them up he proceeded to ask us if we were aware that the animals were saltwater - all while standing right smack-dab in front of a sign labeled "saltwater." I'm sorry, but you'd need to be fairly thick to not catch that

Haha you would be surprised with the crazy stuff I've encountered. During the whole craze when finding dory came out it was almost a daily thing of having to explain to customers that no you can not put dory or nemo in with your platys, mollies, barbs etc. I'm fairly certain my forehead was red from face palming all day.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are doing you a big favor - most pet store chains sell fish that are far from healthy. Please find a good local fish store to frequent. Once you do, learn as much as you can, but be skeptical and check the veracity of what you hear on the forums.

Bruce

I go to the local fish stores nearly every week, I was simply stating an experience with a local Petco I had when attempting to buy hermit crabs. I frequent the chain stores to buy my ball python frozen rats and mice, but sometimes I'll pick up a small critter for the pico:) I've purchased dozens of freshwater stock (I started with freshwater) from the chains and many, actually most, have been incredibly long lived. I've also been keeping fish for 10 years, so research has and continues to be done in ample supply!

Last edited:

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha you would be surprised with the crazy stuff I've encountered. During the whole craze when finding dory came out it was almost a daily thing of having to explain to customers that no you can not put dory or nemo in with your platys, mollies, barbs etc. I'm fairly certain my forehead was red from face palming all day.

Sheesh, that's just a new level of dumb! Hahaha too funny!!

OP
OP
Tyler_Fishman

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an astrea snail, at petco this week, (I only did it because it had some coraline algae on its shell and because I have an algae issue) yes I had to drag my mom to the fish section, I had to be 17 to buy a fish from their it turns out, I guess I can just Lie? I'm 16 so... they asked me if I knew it was saltwater, ughhh. no I had no Idea obviously, Well anyways the snail is doing good and it's my first saltwater organism! Hurray

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an astrea snail, at petco this week, (I only did it because it had some coraline algae on its shell and because I have an algae issue) yes I had to drag my mom to the fish section, I had to be 17 to buy a fish from their it turns out, I guess I can just Lie? I'm 16 so... they asked me if I knew it was saltwater, ughhh. no I had no Idea obviously, Well anyways the snail is doing good and it's my first saltwater organism! Hurray

I tend to play dumb with people in shops, listening to them treat me like an imbecile and then ask for something by its scientific name and watch them squirm:D

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back