Miracle Mud

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, today our shipment of miracle mud arrived. I know there is a lot of mixed opinions about this stuff but I wanted to try it. I’m still in the process of building a 110gallon sump well that’s the new design anyhow, with around 70 dedicated to the refugium.
I added the mud today to our existing sump with some before and after pictures, and I’ll add reviews as it comes along.

Wasn’t sure how to add the video here.
96547316e6d62698c8e04a2c4a955a1a.jpg
4142914e527d9bb55eafc1535a9b88cf.jpg
7170ea11b36f400521712ed4f6d42082.jpg

These were how the tank and sump looked before. Hopefully we’ll see a difference in the next video. Now after adding the mud to the refugium I almost had a panic attack. A friend told me how he added his so that’s what I did [emoji848][emoji849]
First the sump
f1be8e792206ea3b93c5d339f02e7307.jpg
next my display
84ac43a6bad477c9a1d493bb592d4af9.jpg
d3e18c41646d4840615eea9604bb63d7.jpg
I almost cried. I have not left my tank in 8 hrs but it’s getting better now. 12:14 at night ughhh
f5f7f14e6183303aeac41f3090b85a07.jpg
I can finally relax a little
13234e217d5a85f8fb3df1a3a974d816.jpg
bonus point for you if you happen to know the movie in the reflection lol. Thanks for looking.
HAPPY REEFING!!!

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the video is so loud shot it with the cabinet open. Its actually very quiet. I’ll make sure it’s all closed up for the next video.

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far and following along to get your long term review, with pics of the results.

I’ve read both kinds of Miracle Mud reviews. I’ve seen videos of people swearing by the stuff, but then I see their sump in later videos without mud and no mention of why they removed it. Not to sound like Julian Sprung, but I like the look of mangroves in sump mud, but I won’t have that kind of room in my stand unless I ever upgrade from 100g to a monster tank.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Yes I was scared to try it but some of the polyp extension on corals in this tank are smaller than the same ones I’ve seen in a tank with the mud so I thought I’d give it a shot.

Well this morning everything is crystal clear again, and the zoas seem to have really liked it. I’ll post another video after work to see how everything is doing after a day of light.
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the mud wet or dry when you buy it? What exactly is it supposed to do?

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came wet from Florida.
I can’t say exactly what it is supposed to do since there are so many different views of it. But supposedly it’s full of the nutrients, minerals and beneficial bacteria. I just know that a friend has it in his and the corals that are the same as some of mine are way more vibrant in color and seem to be thriving. Mine never seemed bad but I just wanted to see if they’ll benefit more from this. Side note my water seems way clearer today than prior to adding. They say it can almost take the water look away, as in a look that all the coral are just floating in air.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with miracle mud for my refugium. About a year ago. Have to let the dust settle in the sump before running the pumps. Since I started with miracle mud, I honestly can tell if it is a benefit or not. However, my nutrient levels are always stable and I have not lost a fish since I've started with the exception of a few jumping wrasses. My chaeto grows over it very well. I'd like to think that it is a definite contributor to my tanks's overall health.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is 24hrs later. My bubbles are happy, even two that have been hidden for around a month or so have came out. My toadstool has been slumped over for months with very few tentacles it’s starting to stand and it’s covered in tentacles or polyps whatever you want to call them. My kryptonite candy canes are always fluffy so not sure on those. Chalices seem a bit more puffy. Both the monti and acro seem to be a little more fluffy also. Lobos are opening up more and more. Gsp seems normal.
33c7bae67072122ef9b20b4c26d53f0f.jpg

HAPPY REEFING!!!

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with miracle mud for my refugium. About a year ago. Have to let the dust settle in the sump before running the pumps. Since I started with miracle mud, I honestly can tell if it is a benefit or not. However, my nutrient levels are always stable and I have not lost a fish since I've started with the exception of a few jumping wrasses. My chaeto grows over it very well. I'd like to think that it is a definite contributor to my tanks's overall health.

It wouldn’t let me see your threads with the new update on my iPhone for some reason but I did find your tank build and was hoping for coral pictures and yup there they were. First off that’s a beautiful reef you got going there. I think back and sometimes wish I had went with a black base also, maybe when we build the new tanks. Hopefully soon.
Second, yes your corals that are similar or same as what I have look way fatter and luscious. Mine always looked good and seemed to be growing ok but after only a day most of them look way happier. I can’t wait for the week by week updates.
HAPPY REEFING!!!

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn’t let me see your threads with the new update on my iPhone for some reason but I did find your tank build and was hoping for coral pictures and yup there they were. First off that’s a beautiful reef you got going there. I think back and sometimes wish I had went with a black base also, maybe when we build the new tanks. Hopefully soon.
Second, yes your corals that are similar or same as what I have look way fatter and luscious. Mine always looked good and seemed to be growing ok but after only a day most of them look way happier. I can’t wait for the week by week updates.
HAPPY REEFING!!!
Thanks for stopping by. It's been a journey. About a year now. I took a chance with the Hawaiian black sand. I wanted something a little different. I like the way it brings out the colors of some of my corals. I went with miracle mud after researching setting up a fuge. Although it is pricey, I do believe it has helped my tank in many ways.

OP
OP
RELLIK-REEF

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re just over two years on this tank. Been a few ups and downs for sure, but our family loves this hobby. My son is 10 and he loves doing anything he can to help. Check out our stand build thread.

U

User1

View Badges
Movie= A Few Good Men? Always thought about using m.m. but never pulled the trigger.
First movie that came to my mind was Minority Report. Then I don't recall him wearing a tie in that movie so thought maybe risky business, but he was a lot younger. So then I was thinking born on the fourth of july but said no, that wasn't it. Then I was like never mind - I don't recall all of the movies he was in.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re just over two years on this tank. Been a few ups and downs for sure, but our family loves this hobby. My son is 10 and he loves doing anything he can to help. Check out our stand build thread.
Very nice thread on the stand build. It looks great. Your kids did a great job as well and they looked like they enjoyed it. You gotta get them involved while they're young. Lol. My kids are older and they like the way it looks but that's the extent of it. Tanks looks great as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back