Miracle mud

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is miracle mud worth it? The Fiji miracle mud is like $80 and I’m wondering is it worth it to put I’m my refugium? I don’t want to spend that much money for something that isn’t good. Also if I do get it what type of macro algae do I grow in it?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I was looking at this product in a LFS yesterday and they claimed it works (but it was for sale, too)

Inn an other thread I ran into a person who is using KoraLagoon by Brightwell. I was able to read the label on google
and they analyse the aragonite and it provides calcium alk, magnesium, strontium, potasium? Looks similar to MM but with less of the minor elements.

Wheat toast

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is miracle mud worth it? The Fiji miracle mud is like $80 and I’m wondering is it worth it to put I’m my refugium? I don’t want to spend that much money for something that isn’t good. Also if I do get it what type of macro algae do I grow in it?
My bad FIJI MUD

@WheatToast

I'm laughing because I have a bag of miracle mud I never installed. I think most of these are very similar after nosing around. HTH

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I was looking at this product in a LFS yesterday and they claimed it works (but it was for sale, too)

Inn an other thread I ran into a person who is using KoraLagoon by Brightwell. I was able to read the label on google
and they analyse the aragonite and it provides calcium alk, magnesium, strontium, potasium? Looks similar to MM but with less of the minor elements.

Wheat toast
Can’t speak for KoraLagoon, though the texture certainly looks interesting.
Not sure if OP is referring to Ecosystem Aquarium Miracle Mud, some type of Fiji mud (ex. Aquaforest Life Source and Walt Smith Fiji Mud), or something else since “Fiji miracle mud” isn’t a product I could find.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely an old school reefing product still around.

It was originally placed in refugium to grow calupera or grape algae that had a rooting nature to limit nutriets. You rarely see that anymore as it is prone to crashing with low nutrients.

When starting up a refugium I see no reason it cannot be added to new refugium, but most will sell the vagaries of trace elements. I might recommend if doing a basic set up with refugium.

It is probably just sandy loam sifted that was near a beach somewhere.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miricale mud, caribsea, Fiji mud, have done them, Think they release very small amounts of elements. Low oxygen spaces can be achieved in a couple of inches instead of 6” with a deep sand bed. Will say it’s not a “miracle” but works

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the point, but if it does the job okay and you like the look...? Like theMeat implied though, $80 is a lot of sand.

I do like "live mud" from places like IPSF, though that's different product :)

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello,I am using ecosystems miracle mud since I started my tank and it’s definitely worth it.nutrients balance is pretty good and also colors on fishes are awesome when using miracle mud.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was originally placed in refugium to grow calupera or grape algae that had a rooting nature to limit nutriets. You rarely see that anymore as it is prone to crashing with low nutrients.
Also if I do get it what type of macro algae do I grow in it?
Some of the “safer” Caulerpa species, like Caulerpa prolifera, still remain somewhat popular today alongside Ulva and Chaetomorpha. Mud isn’t technically required to grow these algae, or any rooted macroalgae I can think of (Udotea, Penicillus, some Halimeda, etc.) as they do not derive nutrients from the mud and can simply be planted in sand if they need substrate as an anchor. However, seagrasses often benefit from mud substrates which are found in their natural habitat and provide the anaerobic conditions their roots require (if I’m not mistaken, I would assume mud would be more effective at creating anaerobic zones than sand since it compacts more readily).
Miricale mud, caribsea, Fiji mud, have done them, Think they release very small amounts of elements. Low oxygen spaces can be achieved in a couple of inches instead of 6” with a deep sand bed. Will say it’s not a “miracle” but works
Agreed!

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mud for mangroves would be the move. With some sand

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is miracle mud worth it? The Fiji miracle mud is like $80 and I’m wondering is it worth it to put I’m my refugium? I don’t want to spend that much money for something that isn’t good.
https://premiumaquatics.com/product...a_8I65-wIVA4bICh28IACnEAQYASABEgIuofD_BwEthis is the product I was looking at. But I’m not looking for sand what I really want is actual mud from like mangrove swamps to make a mangrove tank and put some in a refugium.
If you want to save on costs while still having mud and the biodiversity, I would try themacroman live mud (looks like the lighter-colored Fiji mud in-person) seeded in with FloridaPets live mud (Florida Keys ocean mud for extra biodiversity).
I would avoid this other seller since the live mud I received from them was full of rotting mangrove leaves and plastic waste.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it's in your sump, it's messy and takes forever to get every last ounce out. If you have LR in sump it get into every crack.

I removed it 2 years ago and my sump LR is still leaching it out an ounce at a time.

I find a lil bit of it when I do a complete sump clean out 1-2 times a year

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it's in your sump, it's messy and takes forever to get every last ounce out. If you have LR in sump it get into every crack.

I removed it 2 years ago and my sump LR is still leaching it out an ounce at a time.

I find a lil bit of it when I do a complete sump clean out 1-2 times a year
I hear live mud can be capped with a thin layer of sand before the introduction of water to reduce water cloudiness. Unfortunately, I completely ignored this advice when adding my mud, which turned my tank into a scene straight out of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for a few days. However, ever since, it has completely settled and doesn’t leech into the water column at all, even without sand.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have grown mangroves in cactus loam mixed with sand and no miracle mud.

This does not have properties to have anaerobic zone in shallow sand better than other sands. That is more non-sense.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,I am using ecosystems miracle mud since I started my tank and it’s definitely worth it.nutrients balance is pretty good and also colors on fishes are awesome when using miracle mud.

How do you think the mud is impacting fish color?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 112 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back