Refugium stuff

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a used tank and sump. The previous owner had miracle mud in the refugium and it’s clearly last its prime. What’s wrong with it is that my chaeto does not spin at all. If I put a pump in there that could rotate the chaeto then it would surely disturb the miracle mud in there. I have a 2in sand bed. What would happen if I removed that miracle mud? Would I crash my tank? What about my pods? Pictured is my sump and what it looks like empty. It’s a trigger systems 36g w/2 sock holders
IMG_2778.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a long pair of tongs and turn it every couple of days. Honestly though if you get a strong enough light you don't even need to worry about that mine doesn't die out on the bottom even if it's full of chaeto in the fuge even if I forget to turn it. You can use regular old plant grow lights for a fuge with massive par as long as you protect them from salt spray and they work great for cheap

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got some choice
Harvest some
turn it upside down
Spread it
Crank the light (+white %) a little if no3 etc... are building up.
Last time I harvested some it did not really grow back. It just grows as a thick mat and I’m sure my light is either on or off. It’s on a timer so it’s not on all day every day. It just shuts off for the night. Or should it be on at night and off during the day? I can spread it and turn it around like you suggested. I did notice that a bunch of bristle worms started to to wriggle around on the surface chaeto. I might switch to an algae scrubber because I have my UV, Skimmer and both filter socks in the first chamber pictured. That way I can have the scrubber and skimmer in the middle chamber and not 3 pieces of equipment in one chamber. I do however want a mandarin for sure so I need that fuge

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a long pair of tongs and turn it every couple of days. Honestly though if you get a strong enough light you don't even need to worry about that mine doesn't die out on the bottom even if it's full of chaeto in the fuge even if I forget to turn it. You can use regular old plant grow lights for a fuge with massive par as long as you protect them from salt spray and they work great for cheap
image.jpg
I have this submersible pump and it’s adjustable. Would I be a good idea to put it in my fuge for some extra flow? My sump has these grates that flow down into my return section from a baffle. The chaeto is sucked into it and blocks flow into the return pump. I have the baffle stuffed with some polyfil for more mechanical filtration. It’s in a thick mat rectangle thingy so what if I rolled it into a ball and then kept it spinning Then as it grows on water change day I rip a chunk off and put it back? Would that work?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back