Missed a dose

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been carbon dosing for a couple months and just realized I missed dosing this morning (I usually dose shortly after lights come on). Any harm or just continue business as usual tomorrow?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean you dose carbon? Carbon is something that goes in a bag or reactor, it can be used at any time, start or stop it doesn’t matter. When I think of dosing I think of kalkwasser or something, I didnt think carbon can be dosed

im sorry I’m not sure if I misunderstand or if this is something new that I don’t know about. Thanks

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean you dose carbon? Carbon is something that goes in a bag or reactor, it can be used at any time, start or stop it doesn’t matter. When I think of dosing I think of kalkwasser or something, I didnt think carbon can be dosed

im sorry I’m not sure if I misunderstand or if this is something new that I don’t know about. Thanks

Two totally different things. Carbon dosing (most commonly vinegar, vodka, or NoPoX) is a method of feeding bacteria usually for the purpose of reducing nitrate and phosphate.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are talking about dosing organic carbon (the element carbon, not active carbon that we use in filter bags, some sources of carbon are vinegar, vodka, sugar, or NO3POX), bacteria use nitrates and phosphates in order consume the carbon, thereby reducing nitrates and phosphates in the aquarium. It works sort of similar in concept to refugium, in that an organism (in this case bacteria instead of macro algae) uses nitrates and phosphates and then are removed from the tank (either by pruning macroalgae or with carbon dosing the bacteria are skimmed out of the tank). Carbon dosing has the added benefit of encouraging anaerobic bacteria that consume nitrates and turn them into nitrogen gas which then gasses off the surface of the water. It also provides microscopic food for corals and inverts (bacteria). All that said, it’s not a foolproof way to lower nitrates and phosphates (it lowers nitrates more than phosphates), it requires careful monitoring and its not a magic bullet if your nutrient import is out of balance. I recommend using carbon dosing in addition to a refugium and doing heavy in/heavy out in terms of nutrients.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back