Missing chunk of new clownfish tail.

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on what caused this? Do you think that it’s necessary to freshwater dip it just to be sure?
image.jpg

Any input is appreciated

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other fish in the tank? How long has the fish had the tail issue?
Haha, I’m sorry about that. I got impatient and wrote a new thread that was written w/ more context.

I just bought two clowns from the lps earlier today; when I brought them home I realized one had a large chunk of the tail gone. These particular clowns are the first in the tank. I’m going to set up a quarantine tank soon. I realize I should have probably quarantined them before I put them in the display, but I got impatient.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G knows his stuff, so whatever he tells you i would definitely listen, he won't steer u wrong. It could have happened either at the lfs or in your tank, clownfish don't always play nice with each other when they r setting the pecking order. It doesn't look to bad, in all likelihood it will grow back. My tangs don't always place nice with each other and take some chunks out of each others tails and they grow back within a week or so. Big G can give you some recommendations on some meds if needed.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be real tough. Had a member post a couple months back about his clown, while cleaning the tank his clown jumped out of his tank and bit him on the eye. Yikes! Those little dudes are tough.

Bites in the tail area are pretty common. Usually not a problem unless the bite is large and bone is exposed.

Keep an eye on the tail area. What you should be watching for is a white to whiteish grey film that could be an infection setting in. If you see that a 90 minute bath in Ruby Reef Rally (it has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities) will help. And then immediately follow up with treatment in a QT with an wide spectrum antibiotic: NFG is my go to but Triple Sulfa aka Sulfaplex, Kanaplex, Furan2 works really well too.

scattered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bit hard to tell on the phone but that doesn’t look brand new and seems to be healing. If it eats and doesn’t appears distressed I wouldn’t worry overmuch yet.

scattered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be real tough. Had a member post a couple months back about his clown, while cleaning the tank his clown jumped out of his tank and bit him on the eye. Yikes! Those little dudes are tough.

Bites in the tail area are pretty common. Usually not a problem unless the bite is large and bone is exposed.

Keep an eye on the tail area. What you should be watching for is a white to whiteish grey film that could be an infection setting in. If you see that a 90 minute bath in Ruby Reef Rally (it has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities) will help. And then immediately follow up with treatment in a QT with an wide spectrum antibiotic: NFG is my go to but Triple Sulfa aka Sulfaplex, Kanaplex, Furan2 works really well too.

Clowns are damselfish. Damselfish are aggressive, territorial, and fast.

Do NOT introduce antibiotic to the display tank under any circumstances. I understand that is not what Big G instructed here, but it needs to be made very clear.

OP
OP
Bryson.bobby

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you, I will keep an I out for an infection.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back