Missing Damsels?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Striike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Striike

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 7, 2009
Messages
260
Reaction score
131
Location
Chattanooga
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had a fish or 2 disappear on them before? I have 2/3 Blue Yellow tailed damsels that have disappeared, the bigger 2!
Remaining tank mates are:
1 Smallest Blue/yellow damsel (1")
1 Yellow tang (2.5")
1 Strawberry Goby (1")
1 LM Blenny (2.5")
2 Percs (~2")
1 Pink anthias (2.5")
Cleaner/peppermint shrimps, crabs and snails (only shrimp are decent size, rest are tiny)

Tank is a 90g, with a 38g sump.
Things I have checked thus far.
1. Both overflow boxes, stood on a chair with a flashlight and looked down.
2. Flow seems strong out of both return lines. 2 Drains are 1.5" and both seem equal flow (I don't think they are stuck in a pipe).
3. I have checked all pump intake ports.
4. Water tests show Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and Phosphates at 0.
5. Only thing I haven't done is take apart all the rock work. They could be hiding, but 3 days ago they came out with all the other fish at feeding time. Only other recent change is I replaced all my t5 lights.

Any ideas/experience someone could share would be appreciated, or if there is something else I need to consider. I've had the same rock work, no new pieces for ~ 1year.
 
Did you check the floor? I know it sounds stupid but I had this happen before. But if you have alot of snails and crabs, you may not see the bodies if they died. I would check the rockwork and the sump. Also check the overflows again. I had a clown that liked to jump into the overflow for whatever reason. Good luck!
 
I generally find the missing fish dried up on the floor several months later (behind the tank, under the sofa, etc). I did have a BIG tang die one time that I never found the body, but I was out of town and either my son just wasn't paying attention (the fish was probably 7 inches long- how could you MISS that?!?) or he (the fish) had wedged himself into a rock, got stuck and died. No telling. I came home, no big tang. Beautiful fish. Oh well.
 
Good thoughts, I'll check those with much more scrutiny. Thank you. Tank has a canopy, and is 1/4" from the wall, so never considered jumping a prospect. I'll also shut down my plumbing, so I can see clearly in the overflows.

Are dogs prone to eat fish? I have a 4lb dog that could have accessed them if they got out from behind the stand.
 
Last edited:
I would say jumped out, but not likely to have two jump at the same time!
 
Sorry for late response, just a final word on this in case it happens to another. I found one of the damsels. Apparently there was some aggression issues with the other one, cause he hid in the rock work for days. When he finally came out, he was so beaten and battered he didn't survive the night in a quarantine tank (very tough to catch still). The other is still MIA, I have given up hope, either the dog ate it, or the fish and clean up crew did, it is not behind the stand.
Should I consider removing the last one to its own tank? The rest of the fish in there are larger, and are aggressive by nature. There has been no other hostility that I have observed over the last month.
 
I have a 20 gallon high with no top. So far I've lost

False Perc
Black False Perc
6 Line Wrasse
Golden Moray Dwarf Eel

I found the eel in a bucket unfortunately way after he died. Smelled terrible.

Never could find any of the other fish. I don't know if the eel got the Perc and 6 line, probably not he wasn't big enough or fast enough. I never could find any of the fish though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new