Missing McCosker’s wrasse

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m guessing my guy is dead and the CUC ate the evidence. He’s been in my tank for 2 months and has never been shy. He was fine last night when I fed the tank but no sign of him today. Tank is completely covered and he doesn’t seem to be in the overflow area (I’ve looked multiple times). There are lots of places he could hide inside the rock but he’s never missed a meal before.

Has yours ever randomly decided to hide and eventually came back out (when he wasn’t new to the tank)? Only thing that changed yesterday was I added some additional cuc - money cowries, snails, and small hermits.

here’s a terrible picture from 8:37 pm last night
46461672-2AC8-406B-BEA3-13D97BBB8AFF.jpeg

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not give up yet; Wrasse can be very strange sometimes in behavior and when spooked they can hide. I would give it 2-3 days before writing him off. Hope you find him

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you check all around your tank and not just the overflow? A wrasse or two have been known to get out of the best-covered tops.

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. If he did make it out, there likely wouldn’t be evidence with 4 cats. But I did look.
I have 7 in my tank, I do recall a 1 or 2 not coming out for a full day, these sand sleepers can be strange...give it a couple of days....don't give up hope just yet.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a long fin fairy dissapear for a few days after being spooked... randomly reappeared like nothing happened. Hoping yours does too.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My McCoskers hid for weeks when there were aggression issues among other fish in the tank, even though he wasn't being directly bullied. He still hides at the slightest provocation. I would definitely not worry after just one night in hiding.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no sighting of him. He's never been one to hide, which is why this is surprising. Hopefully he shows back up eventually.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 in my tank, I do recall a 1 or 2 not coming out for a full day, these sand sleepers can be strange...give it a couple of days....don't give up hope just yet.

Seven McCoskers!?! I would love that. How do they interact?

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had this happen to me about a month or so ago with the same exact wrasse. I ultimately gave up on him and figured he died and my snails ate him... then one day while cleaning the hair algae out of my refuge, poof there he was!!! Still to this day I have no idea how he got there. The plumbing all has check valves or does not flow in the direction to allow this to happen. The only thing I can think of is he hopped out while I had my cover off, fell behind the tank and through a small hole cut for my plumbing and landed into the fuge chamber. There’s no other way! Anyways, don’t give up. Check the sump

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back