Missing Orchid Dottyback

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon reef 2 clowns, 2 firefish gobys, 6 line wrasse, yellow peel angel and a watchman goby, emerald crab and fire shrimp.

Last Thursday we added a small orchid dottyback. He immediately hid but came out an hour later and was out all day Friday and Saturday morning. Eating well. Saturday afternoon I did a ten gallon water change and noticed a few hours later he was no where to be found. Have not seen him since, even for feedings. Have a hard time believing I sucked him out with my 1/2" syphon hose at the upper corner of the tank. No evidence of a jumper. How long should I wait for him to re appear before thinking about replacing?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would wait till the weekend and declare missing in action. If it goes missing also, I would suspect aggression from one of the existing fish, the angel would be at the top of the suspect list, but possibly the clowns.....

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an Orchid dottyback in my 40 and I've been sure he died at least 3 times. Then next week there he is swimming around at feeding time. They are masters of hide and go seak.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an Orchid dottyback in my 40 and I've been sure he died at least 3 times. Then next week there he is swimming around at feeding time. They are masters of hide and go seak.
Thanks for the encouragement. Hope this is the case.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon reef 2 clowns, 2 firefish gobys, 6 line wrasse, yellow peel angel and a watchman goby, emerald crab and fire shrimp.

Last Thursday we added a small orchid dottyback. He immediately hid but came out an hour later and was out all day Friday and Saturday morning. Eating well. Saturday afternoon I did a ten gallon water change and noticed a few hours later he was no where to be found. Have not seen him since, even for feedings. Have a hard time believing I sucked him out with my 1/2" syphon hose at the upper corner of the tank. No evidence of a jumper. How long should I wait for him to re appear before thinking about replacing?
It's pretty normal for them to hide when added to the tank. Mine refused to come out in the qt for weeks, and now only comes out for food in my DT. He has been in it for 2 weeks.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with other posts. Perfectly normal for new fish of this type to hide. May not come out for a week even two.

I hardly see this guy at all

20211125_144003.jpg

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, been almost 2 weeks and zero sightings. When to throw in the towel and try again?

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, been almost 2 weeks and zero sightings. When to throw in the towel and try again?
Don't give up yet, have you checked at night when the lights are almost off or off? I ask because I put a Swissguard Basslet in and watched him get picked on a little and disappear. Didn't see him for a little over 2 weeks so, so I thought he was a goner. Then I get home late one night and fed when the lights were about 5 minutes from fully off and that little dude shot out from the rocks like a little rocket to grab food. He had a belly on him too so he must have been eating.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't give up yet, have you checked at night when the lights are almost off or off? I ask because I put a Swissguard Basslet in and watched him get picked on a little and disappear. Didn't see him for a little over 2 weeks so, so I thought he was a goner. Then I get home late one night and fed when the lights were about 5 minutes from fully off and that little dude shot out from the rocks like a little rocket to grab food. He had a belly on him too so he must have been eating.
Looked for him a few times, but mainly lights on. I'll give a few tries at night. Thanks for the tip

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have 2 for a year in my 75, ended up with a m/f and sometimes I loose one (female) for weeks at a time. They dig and hide beneath the rocks.

Lights out they are always in their tunnels or in the rockwork hiding.

I have found them to be extremely peaceful fish even as a pair.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back