Missing Pistol Shrimp Question

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 sets of paired tiger pistol shrimps and yellow watchman gobies for the past year. They have their own territories in the tank and live happily. Both paired sets had complex tunnel systems with multiple opening for the gobies to poke their heads out. And the TPS were constantly digging all day long moving tons of sand.

About 10 days ago, I found 2 molted shells from the pistol shrimps. Since then, both TPS have disappeared and the two YWG are swimming around the tank. YWG are swimming around because the TPS not digging any longer and the holes are completely filled in.

It seems odd that both TPS have gone missing at the same time. Could they be dead? Or they hiding after molting? Has anyone seen this happen before? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
drblank1

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hear a couple of pops during the week. Not a lot. I haven't heard any popping. But also I haven't sit to listen for long periods of time.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early on I would see him every day. Now he may disappear for a few days at a time.
I’ve heard of them missing for longer.
What other fish are inverts are in the tank though? Have you checked around it? Just ruling out any easy answers for if they did die.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing in my tank that I think could’ve killed the shrimps would be the anemone located sand level. But both within a couple days seems unlikely. Unless both decided to go on a midnight stroll with each other. LOL

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding???
Idk really. I am leaning on them still being okay (after all they are the ones that would close the burrow), but 10 days just seems like a long time. But for both to have a molting issue at the same time seems off. And you did find the molts then they would have successfully molted.
Params?

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back