Missing watchman? Will they die under the sand?

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay- so i have dees sand beds and figured a watchman goby would be perfect. For 36 hours he was a baller! Tore up my sand in volumes i couldnt wven believe!! After that 36 hours i went out of town for 3 days (yeah yeah, i know). After getting home i cannot find that SOB anywhere! My ORP levels have droped from 400 to 350 and its been 3 days without seeing him where before he was pretty social so i decided to search. After looking under every rock i cannot find him.

Are watchmans known for burrying themselves before dying? I have a 70 gal system, will this dieoff be large enough to damage my tank? Ive been fighting stupid amounts of algea since adding a kessil A360 and am worried this might become an issue

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a handful of mysteries like this. Had a chromis that just vanished into thin air. Never found him or his body or anything. For what is worth, I have a 75g and saw no impact to the tank.
Also had a goby that jumped from the tank, and it was actually pretty far from the tank (i was surprised how far!). So make sure its not out around the tank somewhere?.
And another goby disappeared for months, was very social so I gave him up for dead, then one day he was swimming around like nothing, so don't discard possibility he is just hiding.

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the tips! Changed out the socks. Moved all the items from the sand. Havent seen new tunnels in ages. Moved all the xmas gifts, chairs etc. Checked the sump. No luck. ORP down another 20 pts so i think hes under the sand somewhere (if thats a thing for these guys?).

Thanks all!

Have a good night

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchman gobies don’t bury.

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Hes a piece of fish jerkey! Poor dude.

Is this normal for all watchmans, or only when they are new to a tank?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 45 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back