Mitras WiFi update

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t know if it’s just me but I cringe every time I see a wifi module update for my Mitras lights. EVERY time one drops and I try to update it fails. Works perfect for the P4 but my Mitras are a living nightmare. I have to attempt multiple avenues to update everyone of my 4. I’ve had them for about 6 years and that is the absolute worst thing about them. I’ve bought new cables, new computer, nothing EVER allows them to update the very first time. Anyone have any tips ?

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, the Wi-Fi module can only be updated via a local connection and NOT via a myGHL connection, is this the case?

OP
OP
Cali9dub

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still always have a terrible time updating the WiFi for each Mitras. I just updated to the most recent firmware and I’m gunna take another swing at it. I assume it cannot be done through GCC but needs to be done via the update module. When I pull the light up in GCC the firmware update shows in dark print and available but the WiFi firmware update is greyed out. I guess the WiFi firmware update module is the way to do it ? And it needs to be set as standalone. Any other tips because nothing has worked consistently EVER with the Mitras WiFi update.
Side note. If all the Mitras are being controlled by the P4 and are all slaves do I need to update the WiFi on the Miras even ??
Thanks.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still always have a terrible time updating the WiFi for each Mitras. I just updated to the most recent firmware and I’m gunna take another swing at it. I assume it cannot be done through GCC but needs to be done via the update module. When I pull the light up in GCC the firmware update shows in dark print and available but the WiFi firmware update is greyed out. I guess the WiFi firmware update module is the way to do it ? And it needs to be set as standalone. Any other tips because nothing has worked consistently EVER with the Mitras WiFi update.
Side note. If all the Mitras are being controlled by the P4 and are all slaves do I need to update the WiFi on the Miras even ??
Thanks.
The Wi-Fi on the LX7 only has to be updated if you access them directly via myGHL. If they are controlled by the P4, then only the P4 Wi-Fi firmware needs the update.

OP
OP
Cali9dub

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I kind of figured that, but it’s nice to access the power ballance, offset, etc through the app for each light instead of always breaking out the usb cable and a laptop.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of figured that, but it’s nice to access the power ballance, offset, etc through the app for each light instead of always breaking out the usb cable and a laptop.
You can do that without updating or USB cable. Just connect to their hotspot. As long as you have a single dedicated hotspot connection for the LX7 in the app, that's all you need.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always rename all 6 so they all have their own unique hotspot name. That way you can tell which light is which and the phone should show them as long as Access Point is enabled on all 6.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. Why can’t the WiFi be updated through GCC desktop program ?
As I said, updating the Wifi module via the GHL Control Center has never been implemented. The text is displayed but there's nothing behind it, which is why it's grayed out. And if it had been implemented, I think it would only have launched the update tool.

It can already be updated in many ways:
- Manually via the web interface by going to the network page then File Manager then Firmware and loading the firmware.bin file as well as the web interface with the index.html.gz file (file included in the zip that can be downloaded from https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/wifi-module-esp-update/).
- Manually via GHL Connect connected locally or hostpot by going to the network page then File Manager then Firmware and loading the firmware.bin file as well as the web interface with the index.html.gz file (file included in the zip which can be downloaded from https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/wifi-module-esp-update/)
- Manually via the "Emergency" web interface http://1.2.3.4/update (replace 1.2.3.4 with the IP address of the GHL device). By loading the firmware.bin file and the web interface with the filesystem.bin file (file included in the zip which can be downloaded from https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/wifi-module-esp-update/).
- Manually via the USB-connected Wifi Update tool for Windows, downloadable from https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/wifi-module-esp-update/
- Manually via Wifi Update tool Web https://api.myghl.com/wifi-update/ connected via USB (simpler than the Windows tool, everything is automatic. This tool can also be used to update the Wifi-LN module for the ProfiLux IL LAN (Industrial Line) equipped with ethernet LAN port)
- Automatically via GHL Connect when first connected via the installation wizard.

I don't think it's necessary to add yet another method, but rather to simplify the existing one, ideally via GHL Connect/Webinterface and in an automated way, with a single manual method as a back-up in the event of connection failure.

Gaël

OP
OP
Cali9dub

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having it all in one spot that worked would be far more helpful than 5 different ways that may or may not work. Just my thoughts. Doesn’t mean you need to agree with them.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having it all in one spot that worked would be far more helpful than 5 different ways that may or may not work. Just my thoughts. Doesn’t mean you need to agree with them.
Of course, your opinion is very important to GHL.

Gaël

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gaël do you know why the DOWNLOAD section at the GHL International site is returning ACCESS DENIED for many of us trying to DL needed software? Here's a whole thread dedicated to it from 3 weeks go:

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gaël do you know why the DOWNLOAD section at the GHL International site is returning ACCESS DENIED for many of us trying to DL needed software? Here's a whole thread dedicated to it from 3 weeks go:

Yes, I've been aware of this problem since the beginning, but it seems "complicated" to correct.

As I answered in the other thread, Try delete cookies or use private browsing mode.

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've been aware of this problem since the beginning, but it seems "complicated" to correct.

As I answered in the other thread, Try delete cookies or use private browsing mode.

I'll jump on that in the morning. I've spent the last 12ish hours trying to install my Mitras lights and both are "stuck" at the same spot in the Installation Process. My brain is hurting LOL!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back