Mixed reef numbers??

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to start dosing my tank with part 1+2... what’s the recommended level for a mixed reef? I have a little bit of everything but mostly zoas and SPS. Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally have a day off from work tomorrow so I was gonna test everything and see what it looks like. Pretty sure my phosphates are always around 0.01-0.02 but my nitrates are usually up near the 10ppm mark. Too much for nitrates?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally have a day off from work tomorrow so I was gonna test everything and see what it looks like. Pretty sure my phosphates are always around 0.01-0.02 but my nitrates are usually up near the 10ppm mark. Too much for nitrates?

That value is OK. :)

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I will post my readings tomorrow and go from there.

Is figuring out how much to dose still the same? Test everyday to see how much Alk and Calc the tank is using and dose accordingly?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I will post my readings tomorrow and go from there.

Is figuring out how much to dose still the same? Test everyday to see how much Alk and Calc the tank is using and dose accordingly?

Which brand two part?

I wouldn't test and dose every day in a new tank. I'd let it run a few days to see the trend more clearly. I'd determine the alk part by testing, and dose the calcium par the same (assuming it is a recipe designed for ~1:1 dosing) until, over time, you determine if a slightly different calcium amount is more desirable.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time using the Hanna Checker for Calcium and I got 592ppm.. seems really high. As for Alkalinity I got 6.3dKh. I haven’t tested anything else yet, just curious to see what those 2 were reading.

U

User1

View Badges
Having just gone through this at least from a new tank perspective, well actually newly cycled 210 gallon (March 1 completed) and migrated 7 year old 40 breeder into it, testing daily was not necessary. At least in my case the tank was not mature enough and mostly empty outside what was moved from the 40 into the new one. I thought I might see something and only now do I "think" there is something to maybe keep it balanced. It did at least show me that my initial numbers are on the low side. Manual dosing a couple days brought them more inline I think.

I started to measure around the 21st of June and you can see how it is on the low side at least with regards to alkalinity. Magnesium seems also on the lower side with calcium again low but not bad from what I've read. I tested the next day and didn't see anything bad. Then started to do every other day and not seeing much change. I added 40 ml of ESV two part a couple days in a row to see if the numbers changed and they did. I can now probably do manual dose once or twice a week and be ok. based on the numbers but cannot go too aggressive because nothing is really consuming and the change isn't really drastic.

I plan to just fill in the rest of July until my regents for Salifert (calc/mag) run out while practicing my testing. The good news is that the numbers are not too far off either way so whatever I'm doing at least it is consistent :D

m1.PNG

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m waiting for my numbers to jump around a lot. Just got a shipment of 18 frags in today on top of the 15+ corals I already have. Tank is only a 57g deep blue with a 30g Skimz sump lol my calc was close to 600 yesterday but today it was closer to 500. Maybe I messed up the first test so I’m not too worried right now. I’m gonna test everyday and see how they’re moving. Should be getting my ESV 2 part in the mail tomorrow.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measured my phosphates and nitrates for the first time in awhile.. phosphates are 0.021ppm and my nitrates are 2.5ppm so i guess that’s good right?

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When should I start to dose? I’ve been testing for a little over a week and my Alk was at 6.4dKH but is now down to 5.9dKH... my calcium was really high, close to 600ppm but now it’s down to 531ppm.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 2 part mixed and ready to go. I just don’t know how much Alk to dose. I have an apex DoS and DDR but have not set them up yet

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay it says Net Actual Tank Volume... I have a 57 gallon display and a 30 gallon sump which obviously is half full. Should I still type in 87 gallons?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back