What are the most important elements to dose?

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a beginner with a 110-gallon tank planning on doing a mixed reef but probably gonna start with some Zoas . I assume calc and alk are the most important, but what about other things to dose, such as mag ?

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mag #3 for sure. Honestly, you can get by for several years, with just those three and water changes. When your coral start to really grow.. is when you need to be concerned with things like a Part C additive, followed by major and minor trace.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallons a week would be good for trace?
Plenty till you get a large group of corals growing.. with time you’ll learn and become in tune with your tank as the corals will tell you something is off… old skool or advanced reefers don’t even use test kits we have test corals that indicate for the most part if something is off and we know from experience what it is and how to correct.. most of the time a water change will cure the majority of stuff in my experience.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean this in the nicest way possible and i am real sorry if it sounds like i am being rude but why is it reef chemistry by randy holmes farley?

Not rude or inappropriate to ask. It's always worth knowing what qualifies someone to give you advice (or not).

I'm the expert moderator of this forum (designated by the forum owner), and have a considerable chemistry background (PhD in chemistry from Harvard, for example) and lengthy experience moderating reef chemistry forums (nearly 30 years since I started as an expert moderator on Compuserve's Fishnet in the early to mid 90's).

My primary purpose here is to ensure that the discussions in this subforum are consistent with what is known and/or hypothesized about chemistry in general and coral reef aquarium chemistry in particular.

Sadly, many other online forums, Facebook, blogs, and videos are filled with incorrect chemistry notions, and one must be very careful in deciding what is believable and what is not. Since many reefers have little or no chemistry background, it can be very challenging for them to recognize and know how to solve apparent issues. Even apparent reef aquarium experts sometimes espouse serious chemistry mistakes that will mislead others, and this forum hopefully serves to hep reduce those problems.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not rude or inappropriate to ask. It's always worth knowing what qualifies someone to give you advice (or not).

I'm the expert moderator of this forum (designated by the forum owner), and have a considerable chemistry background (PhD in chemistry from Harvard, for example) and lengthy experience moderating reef chemistry forums (nearly 30 years since I started as an expert moderator on Compuserve's Fishnet in the early to mid 90's).

My primary purpose here is to ensure that the discussions in this subforum are consistent with what is known and/or hypothesized about chemistry in general and coral reef aquarium chemistry in particular.

Sadly, many other online forums, Facebook, blogs, and videos are filled with incorrect chemistry notions, and one must be very careful in deciding what is believable and what is not. Since many reefers have little or no chemistry background, it can be very challenging for them to recognize and know how to solve apparent issues. Even apparent reef aquarium experts sometimes espouse serious chemistry mistakes that will mislead others, and this forum hopefully serves to hep reduce those problems.
Thank You

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back