Mixing 2-part and kalkwasser in the same container

Psychedelic Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing kalkwasser earlier this year with a single dosing pump. Love it, but as everyone says, this only takes you so far. I am at the stage where I need to supplement with 2-part. Here is my question. Can either part of the 2-part solution be dosed from the same water that contains the kalkwasser? My plan would be to dose one part from the kalkwasser solution and the other part from the top-off water. The fact that I haven't found any information on this probably means it won't work but I thought it worth the ask. Thanks for your thoughts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct that neither part of a two part can be mixed with kalkwasser.

The calcium part will precipitate calcium hydroxide (and magnesium hydroxide if magnesium is in that part) and the alk part will precipitate calcium carbonate.

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalk from 10pm to 10am for ph boost and to carry the load. Then 10am to 10pm I dose AFR. Best decision I have ever made was ditching two part and going to AFR. And it only takes 2 pumps instead of 3-4.

OP
OP
Psychedelic Fins

Psychedelic Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose kalk from 10pm to 10am for ph boost and to carry the load. Then 10am to 10pm I dose AFR. Best decision I have ever made was ditching two part and going to AFR. And it only takes 2 pumps instead of 3-4.
I like that idea. How did you know how much AFR to dose to make up the difference in the Alk shortfall?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back