mixing basslets?

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a new setup. Part of the process is breaking down my 29. So I can keep some bigger stuff in the 125 I "relegating" my yellow assessor(awesome fish) to the display fuge(72x12x12 about 55 gallons). I was debating about a neon dottyback and a blackcap basslet in the DT. Not sure if the neon will torment the blackcap though. I was thinking about the blackcap in the display fuge but that begs the question will the blackcap harrass the assessor which are pretty chill? The display fuge won't have ton of rockwork. Probably 3 or 4 small islands separated by sand and/or macro algae "fields".

anyone have any experience with these or similar combinations?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to keep the neon dottyback away from any basslet that you care about.

The blackcap and the assessor may work. I'll let others chime in on that.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept assessors with black capped basslets with no issues. It should work out fine. I would I introduce the assessor first if possible.

I would not try a neon dottyback with an assessor, that wont likely go well.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. yeah the assessor and neon wasn't an option. The assessor is in the display fuge and the neon would be in the 125. It's just a question of which one the blackcap might fit in with.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that made me think it might be possible was a friend has 2 neons and 2 orchids together in a tank together. Granted his tank is close to twice as big 200+ so they've got more room in his setup.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Assessor and blackcap will be fine together.

Beware of adding a neon dottyback to early in the dt. They can be pretty aggressive.
How about a swalesi and a royal gramma?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea. How big of tank? I have two yellows coming. Where did you get the Randall’s ?

They are now in a 225, but were in a 120 for years. The Randall's and McNeill are from la I think, but dont remember for sure.

Mcneils is the biggest and a bit fiestier than the others. The yellows are my favorite of the three.

Back