Mixing bin equipment advice needed for AWC

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2021
Messages
87
Reaction score
26
Location
Kansas City
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about a year in. I noticed yesterday that my SW mixing bin (brute) has some clear/white slime. It has also had brown gunk in it for awhile. I haven't cleaned it since I started it up a year ago. I plan to rinse it out tomorrow and start fresh.

I recently started auto water changes about a week ago. Currently, it has two powerheads: one on the bottom constantly on and one at the high water level that is only turned on when mixing fresh SW or when dosing the SW. It also has a heater. I currently am using RedSea Blue bucket, which I know is why I have the brown crud. I plan to switch to TM pro once my current bucket is empty.

What I would like advice on is what equipment to keep on now that I've switched to AWC. Should I keep it circulating and heated, just circulated or nothing at all. Usually I fill with RODI, add salt, heat, test salinity and then make adjustments spread out over a few hours. I then keep the heater and lower powerhead on. Should I continue this or change?
 
I just keep my mixing pump on low. No need to keep the heater on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new