Mixing Blennies

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay guys, I’m finding a lot of info out there and in here but wanted to ask specifically from others’ experience about mixing blennies. 5 foot long 120g tank. Tons of LV, beginner corals.

I’ve read that, unlike most blennies, different species belonging to the Meiacanthus group can be housed together. Does anyone have EXPERIENCE with this? In particular, I’d like a harptail, green canary, and a striped blenny. All of the meiacanthus family. I would also like to add a starry blenny (different family) which is where I’m a bit iffy. What do you guys think?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay guys, I’m finding a lot of info out there and in here but wanted to ask specifically from others’ experience about mixing blennies. 5 foot long 120g tank. Tons of LV, beginner corals.

I’ve read that, unlike most blennies, different species belonging to the Meiacanthus group can be housed together. Does anyone have EXPERIENCE with this? In particular, I’d like a harptail, green canary, and a striped blenny. All of the meiacanthus family. I would also like to add a starry blenny (different family) which is where I’m a bit iffy. What do you guys think?
Warning: This is what is in my tank, it may not work in your tank lol.

I have 7 canary blennies, 3 harptails, 4 striped fang blennies, 1 starry blenny, 1 molly miller blenny, 1 tailspot blenny, and 1 bicolor blenny all in a 150 long. It does have tons of rock, they are well fed, and the only signs of aggression have been from the tailspot not liking the starry get near his hole. And it was only a dart out and swim all funny like around it lol. They have been together about 2 years now. All were added at the exact same time, and all went through QT together in a 55 gallon with no issues in it.

Hopefully some others chime in, if they have mixed them as well. Cause my tanks are usually the misfits and have stuff that shouldn't work together do just fine lol.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning: This is what is in my tank, it may not work in your tank lol.

I have 7 canary blennies, 3 harptails, 4 striped fang blennies, 1 starry blenny, 1 molly miller blenny, 1 tailspot blenny, and 1 bicolor blenny all in a 150 long. It does have tons of rock, they are well fed, and the only signs of aggression have been from the tailspot not liking the starry get near his hole. And it was only a dart out and swim all funny like around it lol. They have been together about 2 years now. All were added at the exact same time, and all went through QT together in a 55 gallon with no issues in it.

Hopefully some others chime in, if they have mixed them as well. Cause my tanks are usually the misfits and have stuff that shouldn't work together do just fine lol.

Ooohhhb that sounds nice. Thanks for chiming in

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 100g minimal rock work so I added barnacle clusters which blennies love. I have 2 Kamohara blennies and 1 Blackline Blenny. I had one additional Kamohara but removed it prior to adding the barnacle clusters due to aggression.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My canary blenny has a death wish... loves the powerhead...
Thanks @dantimdad for that info! I have a striped blenny in QT!
IMG_9940.JPEG

Back