Mixing Borbonius Anthias and Cherry Anthias???

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix these two? Tank is a Red Sea Reefer peninsula 500 (4x2x2)

borbonius is about 2.5-3”

should I get a larger or smaller Cherry anthias or does it not matter?

Current tank mates:
Large black tang
Borbonius anthias
Marine betta (probably selling this one)
Midas blenny
Flame wrasse pair
Lineatus wrasse supermale

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not done it, but I’ve kept both species at different times. IMO though, cherry anthias a lot more robust, so I’d get a cherry that is smaller than the borb. I’ve had large male cherry anthias that might eat a flame wrasse. What temperature are you going to keep them at? I think if you Google Hemdal and Sacura you’ll pull up an article I wrote on them some time ago.

Jay

OP
OP
Shaka_Reefer

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not done it, but I’ve kept both species at different times. IMO though, cherry anthias a lot more robust, so I’d get a cherry that is smaller than the borb. I’ve had large male cherry anthias that might eat a flame wrasse. What temperature are you going to keep them at? I think if you Google Hemdal and Sacura you’ll pull up an article I wrote on them some time ago.

Jay
My female flame is 3-3.5” and she’s the smallest fish. Ok I’d definitely get a smaller Cherry anthias since they get so large. And I’m currently keeping the tank between 77-78.

gobybryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Reviving an old thread here, but have you had success keeping Cherry Anthias at temps in the mid 70s long term @Jay Hemdal?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread here, but have you had success keeping Cherry Anthias at temps in the mid 70s long term @Jay Hemdal?

I never tried, but the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach kept them long term at 78 F.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back