Mixing bubble Tips?

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any insight or experience mixing bubble tips. Specifically I'm looking to add a Black widow(s) to existing rainbows. I have two different morphs currently (4 total) and I was wondering if its worth the risk. A while ago I had three different types (colors) without issue and when I added a black widow all but one died withing 2 weeks of the new addition. It may have been a fluke but seems coincidental that right after I added they all started dying.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! please dont. Ive tried mixing bubble tips and eventually they start dying/not looking great. short term is usually fine but after a few months they start getting territorial and releasing stinging cells. If you have clowns that switch between the nems often, it worsens the situation. I wouldn't do it

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most evidence or opinions you get on this is purely anecdotal. The most common thought is that CSB's dont do well with other bta's, but even that isnt proven fact. Widows aren't known to be a strain you must isolate for success. I have a couple strains of black widow in the same tank as some purple with green tip bta's that do just fine.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at all the owners of just a single bta that have the same frequency of issues.

OP
OP
Octane13

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! please dont. Ive tried mixing bubble tips and eventually they start dying/not looking great. short term is usually fine but after a few months they start getting territorial and releasing stinging cells. If you have clowns that switch between the nems often, it worsens the situation. I wouldn't do it

My clowns will not go into the split of the original nem. The female actively swam in between the two until there was visible separation. And my experience was not good the first time. The two types I have now seem fine. All research leans torwards hit or miss

OP
OP
Octane13

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most evidence or opinions you get on this is purely anecdotal. The most common thought is that CSB's dont do well with other bta's, but even that isnt proven fact. Widows aren't known to be a strain you must isolate for success. I have a couple strains of black widow in the same tank as some purple with green tip bta's that do just fine.

I asked a local person who has Colorado's and he said ABSOLUTELY do not mix BW with his nems. but others are fine.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way you worded that it sounds like you can mix anything but bw's with their CSB. I think you or he meant dont mix anything with CSB, but bw's are fine to mix, which I would tend to agree with.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any insight or experience mixing bubble tips. Specifically I'm looking to add a Black widow(s) to existing rainbows. I have two different morphs currently (4 total) and I was wondering if its worth the risk. A while ago I had three different types (colors) without issue and when I added a black widow all but one died withing 2 weeks of the new addition. It may have been a fluke but seems coincidental that right after I added they all started dying.
I have mix different strains of bubble tips together in my tank it was 160 gallon tank though so I'm not sure if there is any proven facts that they are are not supposed to be together the best advice you could probably have is just to make sure that you have the real estate for them to Cowan habit without half to cross paths

OP
OP
Octane13

Octane13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done some more research and it seems to be hit or miss but no one with Widows specifically. My current setup is about 135 gallons but wanted to add a cube for Nems as they are reproducing and moving . Don't have any recent pics yet but both chose the locations they are in (relatively close to each other). I have no problems moving these two together as they are basically touching now.

IMG_0366.jpg IMG_0403.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0415.mp4
    29.2 MB
Back