Mixing Butterflies and dwarf lionfish tankmates?

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working on a 90ish gallon dwarf lionfish tank all summer. It's slowly progressing. Still kind of in an ugly phase but stabilizing. I currently have a Caribbean Longnose Butterflyfish in the display and a Dwarf fuzzy lion in QT. My plan is for 1 or two additional dwarf lions but it feels like the tank will need a bit more movement to have visual interest.

I'm considering a second Butterflyfish. Either a Tahitan or a Lemon are the choices I'm leaning towards. Any thoughts on compatibility issues with the Caribbean longnose? Differences in feeding/hardiness/aggression between the two that I should take into account?

Also weighing something different like an Ebli dwarf angelfish or a GBR clown.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The butterflies are compatible with each other. Try to limit the grazers in the tank though, as some may be unintentionally nippy to a resting dwarf lion.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you thinking the Butterflies might pick at them or more so the Dwarf Angelfish? I was most worried about the clown potentially being a bully.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grazing butterflies and dwarf angels may pick. Longnose butterfly species are less algae grazers and more specific feeders, so arr a safer choice.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dward lions are pretty sedentary. As such, their appearance is meant to help them blend in. Any omniverous grazer therefore may be a risk to nip them here and there in a case of mistaken grazing opportunity.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 46 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back