Valentini Puffer or Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish in a mixed reef?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have a bug that has been itching me for a while. I seriously want a Pufferfish or Lionfish. I have a 75 gallon mixed reef with lots of inverts, a Tomini Tang, pair of clowns, and a Chalk Bass. I want to mix things up a bit but I know it’s quite dangerous to have a puffer or lionfish in a reef. My question is how many of you have had a dwarf puffer or dwarf lion successfully kept in a mixed reef with other reef fish? Just an idea.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried a valentini pufferfish three times without success. A cleaner wrasse killed the first one and the other two unexpectedly died (seemingly healthy).

The chalk bass or clownfish may (eventually) end up as dinner for the lionfish.

Is there a third choice? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither, the valentini puffer will nip your corals and the lion may eat the chalk bass.
Wouldn’t they also eat the clowns? I’d like a dwarf lion myself but I have a yellow tailed damsel and two 12 year old clowns. I have a hippo tang as well. My tank is a 210.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even if it’s just a small fuzzy dwarf lion?

Well, small lions do grow up, and if you able to keep them alive long enough, they will be robust reaching close to 7". You will always hear from people that didn't keep them long enough to reach a mature age and size. The body shape of the chalk bass will put them at risk.

Wouldn’t they also eat the clowns? I’d like a dwarf lion myself but I have a yellow tailed damsel and two 12 year old clowns. I have a hippo tang as well. My tank is a 210.

Damsels are elusive as heck and can sometimes survive, for a while. Clowns are robust in stature and while I wouldn't risk it, some do. This hobby is not absolute and one variable is tank size. Dwarf lions can be challenging to feed and in larger tanks need to be established to a feeding routine before introduction.

Ive had puffers for years, never had them touch my coral. Keep them well fed and you will more than likely be fine.

The valentini puffers are not only notorious for nipping corals but also fish. This hobby is not absolute and the variables could include tank size, types of coral, and the disposition of the individual fish. Over time it would be more out of the norm for a puffer not to nip. Search through other post and find others that were not so lucky.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, small lions do grow up, and if you able to keep them alive long enough, they will be robust reaching close to 7". You will always hear from people that didn't keep them long enough to reach a mature age and size. The body shape of the chalk bass will put them at risk.

Damsels are elusive as heck and can sometimes survive, for a while. Clowns are robust in stature and while I wouldn't risk it, some do. This hobby is not absolute and one variable is tank size. Dwarf lions can be challenging to feed and in larger tanks need to be established to a feeding routine before introduction.

The valentini puffers are not only notorious for nipping corals but also fish. This hobby is not absolute and the variables could include tank size, types of coral, and the disposition of the individual fish. Over time it would be more out of the norm for a puffer not to nip. Search through other post and find others that were not so lucky.
Ugh, i think i will just get a flame hawkfish to satisfy my weird fish desires. I do have a very old and mature 30 gallon that could perhaps have a valentini in it. That tank is 100% kenya tree so I do not care what nips corals.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either is a risk one way or another. I have a valentini puffer that is a sweetheart with regards to other fish regardless of size, and she never bothers any coral. She does enjoy snails especially nassarius, the occasional small crab, and I am not brave enough to try a clam. However some valentini can reportedly be a terror. My daughter really wanted some type of puffer; I took the risk and got lucky.

I do think the valentini is the more active fish, if that is a consideration. Mine never stops moving except when she glues herself to a rock at night.

Both are relatively easy to catch and rehome if you are willing to consider that option.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back