Mixing coppersafe and cupramine "URGENT"

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a fish that I am going to add into a qt tank which is running coppersafe. Thing is, the fish is coming from a tank with cupramine. Will there be any issues if I use the coppersafe water to acclimate? I wasn't sure if mixing the 2 coppers will have any negative effects.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a fish that I am going to add into a qt tank which is running coppersafe. Thing is, the fish is coming from a tank with cupramine. Will there be any issues if I use the coppersafe water to acclimate? I wasn't sure if mixing the 2 coppers will have any negative effects.
A little bit of crossover likely isn’t any concern. You don’t want to use reducing agents with cupramine, but coppersafe isn’t one. Just dispose of the acclimation water when done.
Jay

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I tested the cupramine water and it was 3.5!! Once I saw that, I decided to skip acclimation. Salinity and temp were about the same.

This fish was in the cupramine for a few weeks. How is the fish alive? Will it have internal damage?

Tested with hanna

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I tested the cupramine water and it was 3.5!! Once I saw that, I decided to skip acclimation. Salinity and temp were about the same.

This fish was in the cupramine for a few weeks. How is the fish alive? Will it have internal damage?

Tested with hanna

You tested on the Hanna high range tester? I can't account for why the reading would have been 3.5 - Cupramine should have read around 0.50 to 0.60 Coppersafe might read a bit above 2.5

Jay

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tested on the Hanna high range tester? I can't account for why the reading would have been 3.5 - Cupramine should have read around 0.50 to 0.60 Coppersafe might read a bit above 2.5

Jay
Yup. Either my checker is off which I don't think or thr person I got the fish from severely overdosed cupramine. I just don't know how fish can survive 5X the max dosage.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has skin issues but is eating.

Attachments

• 20211108_080231.jpg
    20211108_080231.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 20

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal could this be flukes?
While the tang could have flukes, the white spots and fin damage aren't a result of them. The fin damage is most likely from another fish. The white spots are most likely "idiopathic mucus plugs". We see those once in awhile in hepatus tangs after being treated with copper. They are just mucus, no parasite is seen associated with them. The spots sometimes go away, but other times the fish goes downhill - I don't know why.

Jay

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the tang could have flukes, the white spots and fin damage aren't a result of them. The fin damage is most likely from another fish. The white spots are most likely "idiopathic mucus plugs". We see those once in awhile in hepatus tangs after being treated with copper. They are just mucus, no parasite is seen associated with them. The spots sometimes go away, but other times the fish goes downhill - I don't know why.

Jay
Thanks. The fish is still alive and eating after being in 5x the max amount of cupramine for 3 weeks. There were other fish in there as well. A few other hippos, clown trigger and some clowns

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 54 53.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.0%
Back