mixing different coral dips together

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like different coral dips do different things. If the chemical composition is different, is there any reason why we can't mix them together and just dip once, rather than dipping the corals through several sessions of individual dips?

I was thinking about mixing Bayer and Coral Rx together in the same 1/4 gallon solution. Possibly hydrogen peroxide with it as well.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like different coral dips do different things. If the chemical composition is different, is there any reason why we can't mix them together and just dip once, rather than dipping the corals through several sessions of individual dips?

I was thinking about mixing Bayer and Coral Rx together in the same 1/4 gallon solution. Possibly hydrogen peroxide with it as well.
I’m not a chemist but my sense is that if people felt comfortable mixing mixing Bayer and CoralRx together they would. But since no one does it I’m guessing there are reasons.

If you mixed Bayer / Coral Rx / maybe hydrogen peroxide would the time required in each work out?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn't mix hydrogen peroxide with other solution than water.It would possibly deactivate many other substances.
What is Coral Rx? Do you know the composition?
How do you know that all those substances are compatible?
Multiple different substances may stress coral more.
Coral dips are not tonics, they have specific purpose to fight certain pests, pathogens. Dipping stresses coral at least initially. It may takes corals long time to recover from dip. We do it because we can get rid of coral parasites or bacterial infections or algae.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back