Mixing Hydrogen Peroxide for Algae

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I mixed H2O2 with reef salt to adjust the salinity of the solution before applying it "in tank" to algae, would the H2O2 be affected? Such as weakened? Basically I am worried that when I apply Hydrogen Peroxide using a syringe (3% solution) in my tank, the solution is just "floating up" and not affecting the algae site on the rocks as much as it would if the salinity was matched to the tank salinity. Additionally, would it be wisest to use a higher salinity H2O2 mix, higher than the reef tank salinity, so that the solution "sits" on the algae site?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be classed as new experimentation with no precedent so if you are trying to improve upon current means do try it

but current means are mighty good, and not all peroxide users apply it to the water, some would never do that in peroxide work threads. we treat the rocks externally as a test zone first and wait a couple days if that works well, do more

working externally is best for beating algae because you can target around corals. Pre scrape surgically the area clean and rinse

like a reef dentist

peroxide at the end, on the clean spot after it was manually surgically rasped with a knife tip. All worked externally on the counter in air

See how that method is designed to obliterate a target and not mess around

even if you can’t remove your rock, find some that will and make Gha comply just in that area, have something to chart as ultimate control against others. we have a twenty page work thread on gha + peroxide where rate of fix is proportionate to willingness for direct access, up to 100% fix rates.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemically I have no idea what that would do, awaiting interaction guesses. unless wanting to experiment why not just surgically fix the reef in two hours

curious to see tank pic and if it would take longer than one min to find a match for it in our pic logs

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then drain and treat, that’s what I did.

drain down water, catch for re use, now the immovable rock stack is accessible in air, rasp and rinse down into the bed the algae / rinsed when dislodged down into the water at the bottom, you don’t have to drain it all.

then spot treat and if some peroxide runs off and you have factored the sensitive organisms in the tank, that will be less user than is about to be dosed via the water. Some refill water has to be re used siphoning out the bottom floating algae, but you can make a clean tank this way.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got nothing solid to add but please be careful. I’ve used peroxide often for algae, even dosed it but got careless and zapped a tank.
Just advising caution and wishing success

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back