Mixing metal halide k?

metone914

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering if anyone using halides uses different color temperature bulbs over the same tank? I’ve been using 14k usios but they have been discontinued. I have two or three years of backups but just picked up some 20ks. I was thinking of putting the 20k in the middle of my three bulb fixture. Any downside to this? Any positives? Thanks!
Tank is mixed lps sps

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it years ago.. it not gonna hurt anything.. putting it in the middle will help it blend ascetically to the naked eye.. currently I run all 14k but since I can’t find any more phoenix bulbs I’ll be switching it up in a year or so.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone using halides uses different color temperature bulbs over the same tank? I’ve been using 14k usios but they have been discontinued. I have two or three years of backups but just picked up some 20ks. I was thinking of putting the 20k in the middle of my three bulb fixture. Any downside to this? Any positives? Thanks!
Tank is mixed lps sps
You may want to try this place.......

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 light fixture and occasionally I have put mismatched K bulbs in to compare the spectrum and I have never been able to leave it "unbalanced" for more than a day or two until I match bulbs to avoid a blue side and a yellow side.

Not sure how much blending you will get with a blue in the middle, but I wouldn't want to look at it very long that way. I'd load 3 of the same K and look around to see what other bulbs are available that produce a look I like, and stock up on those and hope for the best.

OP
OP
M

metone914

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is mixed lps sps
No problem mixing different K bulbs on the same system.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is fine.

Years ago when Coralife made bulbs, their ReeFlux would often look totally different between batches. Their 12k had a really awesome look so people loved them but sometimes you would get some that were more yellow or more blue sitting right next to each other on store shelves. Folks ran them with no issues to the tank. Sometimes it would drive them crazy though.

Ushio still has 150w, 175w and 400w 14k, but I guess that you use 250w?

OP
OP
M

metone914

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is fine.

Years ago when Coralife made bulbs, their ReeFlux would often look totally different between batches. Their 12k had a really awesome look so people loved them but sometimes you would get some that were more yellow or more blue sitting right next to each other on store shelves. Folks ran them with no issues to the tank. Sometimes it would drive them crazy though.

Ushio still has 150w, 175w and 400w 14k, but I guess that you use 250w?
Thanks. Yea have three 250’s

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back