Mixing new saltwater for a water change

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering after you mix salt water for water changes, how long do you wait before you make the water change?

Also wanted to know if don't make the water change right away, how long before the ALK, CA, MG starts to change... More curious on how fast those parameters start to drop and how long that takes from a chemical point of view...

Thanks for any advice :wink:.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use TMP and I usually wait overnite to add water but I know for those that use esv one can add water rite away

NaplesAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually mix for 24 hours or so, then use it. I've stored salt water for a month in a Brute can with no noticeable change in parameters. Using Instant Ocean and/or Reef Crystals.

Jeff

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually mix for 24 hours or so, then use it. I've stored salt water for a month in a Brute can with no noticeable change in parameters.

+1. I've never noticed any significant change in parameters during long time storage.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just keep the water moving and a lid on the container to keep stuff out of it and you will be fine. i try to mix mine for atleast 24 hours unless its emergency. i use kent reef salt

OP
OP
Macropora

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use TMP and I usually wait overnite to add water but I know for those that use esv one can add water rite away

I tried TMP and ESV. Didn't like it and went back to Reef Crystals...

I usually mix for 24 hours or so, then use it. I've stored salt water for a month in a Brute can with no noticeable change in parameters. Using Instant Ocean and/or Reef Crystals.

Jeff

Great to know. Just wondering if the parameters changed if the saltwater was stored for over a week.

+1. I've never noticed any significant change in parameters during long time storage.

Good to know!

just keep the water moving and a lid on the container to keep stuff out of it and you will be fine. i try to mix mine for atleast 24 hours unless its emergency. i use kent reef salt

I keep the water moving with a powerhead and heater prior to the water change. Usually wait 12 hours before making the waterchange.

zoodood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....I don't wait at all....I mix it until I can't see it, then add it in....corals stay open and fish keep swimming...I've been doing this for 5 years and have never informed that I shouldn't....can someone enlighten me as to why it is beneficial to do a waiting period before adding to the system.

Steven Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....I don't wait at all....I mix it until I can't see it, then add it in....corals stay open and fish keep swimming...I've been doing this for 5 years and have never informed that I shouldn't....can someone enlighten me as to why it is beneficial to do a waiting period before adding to the system.

The pH of newly mixed saltwater can be unusually high and it could have low oxygen levels. After mixing for 24 hours, things settle down.

Saltynoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally wait 24 hours as well. I have noticed that any excess I have left over, the salinity drops after a week or so. Don't understand why. If anything I would expect it to increase with any evaporation of the water. I use Seachem Marine salt.

Steven Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that any excess I have left over, the salinity drops after a week or so. Don't understand why. If anything I would expect it to increase with any evaporation of the water.

That really should not happen. Are you seeing precipitation? What are you using to measure the salinity?

ed4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as 24 hours, but as long as a week. I use Aquavitro Salinity and it takes a while to fully dissolve.

OP
OP
Macropora

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally wait 24 hours as well. I have noticed that any excess I have left over, the salinity drops after a week or so. Don't understand why. If anything I would expect it to increase with any evaporation of the water. I use Seachem Marine salt.

Maybe the container used to store the new saltwater needs to be cleaned which is causing the salinity drop? I try to clean the saltwater storage containers once every few months.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add the water instantly after mixing for about 2 minutes, then I walk away and 15 minutes later my controller turns the pump on and the wc is done.

thisissimple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to mix it for a week, I'd start next week's water change when I was done with the previous. Since, I've found that 24 hours is usually sufficient for the pH to stabilize, and O2 levels to level out.

I also use Salinity (and love it) but it does take a while to mix thoroughly.

Saltynoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the container used to store the new saltwater needs to be cleaned which is causing the salinity drop? I try to clean the saltwater storage containers once every few months.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 72 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 9.0%
Back