Mixing Red Sea Pro Salt

Sabra616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to RAP Orlando and I want to have fresh saltwater prepared waiting for me at home. I always follow the instructions of not mixing for longer than 4 hours. I am wondering of how much of a negative effect it will have to mix it longer. From the time I leave for the show and get home to potentially use it would be over 12 hrs. I planned on pre mixing a gallon to have ready. I really do not want to be mixing saltwater when I get home before I start dipping new purchases. Appreciate any input!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to RAP Orlando and I want to have fresh saltwater prepared waiting for me at home. I always follow the instructions of not mixing for longer than 4 hours. I am wondering of how much of a negative effect it will have to mix it longer. From the time I leave for the show and get home to potentially use it would be over 12 hrs. I planned on pre mixing a gallon to have ready. I really do not want to be mixing saltwater when I get home before I start dipping new purchases. Appreciate any input!
What I do - mix it for 4 hours... let it sit up to a day (or 2) until I use it. I start up mixing pump right before moving to fish room, and that is when I double check salinity and add RO if needed (I always mix a touch heavy on purpose as it is easier to bring salinity down with a cup or two of RO water than mix in more salt)

I WISH I WAS GOING!! STAY SAFE AND HAVE FUN!! Know you will have FUN! Oct 30 & 31 is Aquashella Dallas!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High alk and high pH raw salt water is very prone to precipitation of calcium carbonate, especially when warm. That's the issue behind these directions.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back