Mixing salt temp?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mixing salt do you heat temp first and then mix? I usually just plug the heater in my brute, and wave maker, and i just add the salt. And mix it. Does it matter? Unless im doing it wrong.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When mixing salt do you heat temp first and then mix? I usually just plug the heater in my brute, and wave maker, and i just add the salt. And mix it. Does it matter? Unless im doing it wrong.
Some salt mix like Red Sea says mix salt then bring to temp and recheck numbers.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would normally mix with room temp water, then raise temp to tank temp when dissolved and check salinity.

If you add salt mix to a mixing vessel with an active heater you could end up with precipitation especially on the heater itself.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean "sea salt" and start with "cold" RO/DI water (whatever temperature comes from the "cold" tap), about 15-20 gallons at a time.
I just turn on the pump and heater and then add the salt without waiting for the water to heat up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back