Mixing salt with live sand in tank

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m getting a Waterbox 90.3 in a few days because of Fedex being late per usual. Anyways, I don’t have a big enough brute to mix the RODI water and into the new tank all at once. Can I mix salt in the new tank with live sand? Or should I add the live sand after I mix the salt? Yes I can premix the salt first but it’ll take longer because I have to wait for the RODI. I’m too cheap after spending so much money for a bigger brute that I’ll use only one time lol

Last edited:

Reeferjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just mix 5 to 10 gallons at a time in a bucket or tote with a powerhead to help mix it. Probably best to not mix with sand in the tank as it wouldn't mix well

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI will kill the live sand (if there is anything still live in it).

You need to mix before adding to preserve anything beneficial.

edit: Or add the live sand later, which is what I did. Doesn't take long to clear.

Regards
Graham.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m getting a Waterbox 90.3 in a few days because of Fedex being late per usual. Anyways, I don’t have a big enough brute to mix the RODI water and into the new tank all at once. Can I mix salt in the new tank with live sand? Or should I add the live sand after I mix the salt? I’m too cheap after spending so much money for a bigger brute that I’ll use only one time lol
1. Put the sand in.
2. Mix a batch of saltwater.
3. Put the saltwater in the tank
4. Is tank full ? Done . Else goto 2.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to take forever to fill the tank up and that’s my problem. I have to wait for the RoDi and mix again . Have to repeat that long process a few time
You can just mix 5 to 10 gallons at a time in a bucket or tote with a powerhead to help mix it. Probably best to not mix with sand in the tank as it wouldn't mix well

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI will kill the live sand (if there is anything still live in it).

You need to mix before adding to preserve anything beneficial.

edit: Or add the live sand later, which is what I did. Doesn't take long to clear.

Regards
Graham.
Yeah I might just do that since I have a lot of filter floss laying around

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m getting a Waterbox 90.3 in a few days because of Fedex being late per usual. Anyways, I don’t have a big enough brute to mix the RODI water and into the new tank all at once. Can I mix salt in the new tank with live sand? Or should I add the live sand after I mix the salt? Yes I can premix the salt first but it’ll take longer because I have to wait for the RODI. I’m too cheap after spending so much money for a bigger brute that I’ll use only one time lol
Your going to have to rinse the sand really well if you don't want problems does the road anyway. Mix the salt then add the sand. If you rinsed the sand correctly there won't be any cloud.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am filling up my 200g now. I filled with RODI, then mix salt in tank, then add rock, then add sand. Rinse sand thoroughly. When mixing salt in tank, you need strong power head. Add salt slowly on top of power head. If you just dump salt in, it will just clump up in bottom of tank.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I might just do that since I have a lot of filter floss laying around
Just remember to leave room for the sand. You don't want to overflow the tank when you add the sand.

Also don't overshoot the salinity, it's a lot easier to add salt than to remove and throw away water :)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to have to rinse the sand really well if you don't want problems does the road anyway. Mix the salt then add the sand. If you rinsed the sand correctly there won't be any cloud.
You don't rinse live wet sand, otherwise you are just throwing away what you paid for.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't rinse live wet sand, otherwise you are just throwing away what you paid for.
All depends on how you look at it.
I would prefer to rinse to prevent problems down the road.

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 bags various live sand
1 bag crushed coral
only rinsed the crushed coral
crystal clear after 24 hrs!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sure you do. It's not like there are real critters in those bags. Just bacteria which is unaffected by rinsing.

Rinse with tap until it runs clear then a final RODI rinse before adding to tank.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you do. It's not like there are real critters in those bags. Just bacteria which is unaffected by rinsing.

Rinse with tap until it runs clear then a final RODI rinse before adding to tank.
Your tap water just killed the bacteria. Unless of course you have chlorine and chloramine free tap water.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tap water just killed the bacteria. Unless of course you have chlorine and chloramine free tap water.
I don't believe there's been any real studies on the presence and density of bacteria in bags of live sand or the effects of exposure to tap water for a limited amount of time but what we do know is that any bacteria present in the live sand is not needed in your tank.

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is NO Need to rinse live sand, as I stated above.
added 5 or 6 bags to my 125. (I ONLY rinsed the crushed coral)
Two HOB filters, lots of FLOSS.
24 hours, CRYSTAL CLEAR

Attachments

• 20210809_135907.jpg
    20210809_135907.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 42

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back