Mixing salt.

Reko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my starter kit Nuvo Fusion Pro 30, i only have a small sicce nano pump, would it be better to mix the salt by the 5gal bucket vs all the 30+ gallons in a brute..

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the GPH of the nano pump? I mix in a 33 gal brute trash can with a 425 gal pump.

OP
OP
Reko

Reko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
530 it doesn't seem like much and id rather mix by hand in a 5gal but maybe i dont know what im talking about ;p

ChaseBurke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mix in tank. As long as there is no livestock (fish, corals) if there is livestock i would do a brute 5 times less likely that you make a misstake.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say mix it all at once just to make sure your salinity is consistent.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would the nano pump at 530 be enough to do that or will i be sitting there stiring for 4 hours ;p

I've used massive a pump and a teeny tiny pump in a 5 gal brute. Given time a small pump can move a lot of water. As a kid I could get some whirlpool in our circular above ground pool by just going round and round.

Make sure you add salt to water and not the other way around and if you decide to do it all at once, you can give it a good stir every so often to help it along.

When I set up my 29gal nano years ago I mixed in the tank without knowing what I was doing and it worked out ok. The bacteria in the sand can survive in fresh water. The rip clean/sand bed rinse threads have proved that.

Whatever you decide, you should be ok so long as your final SG is good after everything has settled

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If for first batch just throw RODI water in tank then add salt let it mix going through return pump and wavemakers. Then add sand/rock the next day but be aware you’ll have extra water you’ll have to siphon out. This is how I mixed my first batch in my nuvo20 and since then I use a sicce .5 (185gph) in a 10G brute with 8-9 gallons of water and it mixes crystal clear overnight.

Back