Salt mixing mistake - Double salinity

Blennioidei

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 13, 2024
Messages
155
Reaction score
344
Location
Szeged, Hungary
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I am in the process of filling up my tank for the first time. I managed to produce around 100 liters of RODI water (it's pretty slow) into a 140-liter container. Last night, I decided to add the salt so it could dissolve overnight. This way, I can add my live sand and the water to the display tank and start making a new batch (the display tank and sump together will be around 300 liters).
Idk why, it was late, or the scale malfunctioned, but I managed to add almost double the amount of salt. I did not notice at the time; I mixed it until it was clear and then went to sleep. When I checked in the morning, it was super cloudy, and when I checked the salinity, it was around 70. This is when I realized my mistake. I started adding extra RODI water to dilute it, also added a pump to mix it better. I checked the alkalinity and the calcium, and both are super high.
My question is: if I manage to get the salinity to the right level, and my alkalinity and calcium levels are correct, can I use this batch or I should throw it away, and start over? It will be accompanied by another 150 liters, hopefully correctly mixed.

Thanks
 
Hi guys,
I am in the process of filling up my tank for the first time. I managed to produce around 100 liters of RODI water (it's pretty slow) into a 140-liter container. Last night, I decided to add the salt so it could dissolve overnight. This way, I can add my live sand and the water to the display tank and start making a new batch (the display tank and sump together will be around 300 liters).
Idk why, it was late, or the scale malfunctioned, but I managed to add almost double the amount of salt. I did not notice at the time; I mixed it until it was clear and then went to sleep. When I checked in the morning, it was super cloudy, and when I checked the salinity, it was around 70. This is when I realized my mistake. I started adding extra RODI water to dilute it, also added a pump to mix it better. I checked the alkalinity and the calcium, and both are super high.
My question is: if I manage to get the salinity to the right level, and my alkalinity and calcium levels are correct, can I use this batch or I should throw it away, and start over? It will be accompanied by another 150 liters, hopefully correctly mixed.

Thanks
Def don't throw it out. Dilute it a lot and use it. The water isn't bad
 
i never throw mine away. Too much salinity, dilute. Not enough, salt water in ATO - either direction it's best to save and raise, lower slowly :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new