Mixing Salts

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I know most of you are very picky about salt use like myself only sticking to one brand but acouple of days ago a friend of mines also a reefer threw me for a loop when I saw him mix 3 different salts together. I asked him what was the theory behind this method and he responded with each salt brand has different parameters and different elements y not take them all and combine it to one and benifit from all 3 at the same time he checked salinty and that was it. First time I ever saw anyone do that my questions are, Has anyone ever done this before or heard about doin this? Would mixing salts cause higher levels of cal, alk ,mag ect. And if so could it be harmful to your reef by mixing? He had just started doin it says he wanted to try it out :neutral: any opinons or facts are welcome :wink:

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO totally unnecessary.

almost all commercial salts are acceptable.

And it is so inexpensive to keep cal/alk/mag in line with the diy 2 part.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cut coralife with reef crystals when i do mix up fresh sw... if i don't my calcium tends to jump pretty high since coral life has a 550 ppm for cal..:tongue:

OP
OP
lps1212

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea something similar to what you do is what my buddy does except he adds redsea salt also I believe it was. I use TMP the levels are pretty high to begin with but I might be switchin to esv maybe I should try mixing both

NaplesAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever works is fine. I'm usually buffering instead of playing with salt mixes. About the same work, maybe similar cost.

Jeff

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back