Mixing Sodium Nitrate into Saturated Kalk

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Recently I have been battling zero nitrates in my tank, which I believe has been causing problems. I’d like to slowly start dosing nitrates, and I’ve identified that food or Reagent grade sodium nitrate would be my best source for boosting nitrate in the aquarium. Is it acceptable to dissolve sodium nitrate directly into my kalk resevoir, which holds saturated kalkwasser? I dose kalk every hour with a persistaltic pump, so this would be an easy yet controlled way to dose nitrate.

Secondly, does anybody have a good source of where to buy food/reagent/pharmaceutical grade sodium nitrate they can share with me? Struggling to decide where to buy it from.

Thanks in advance for the help!

OP
OP
Boxofpurplerocks

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, thanks! How does this choice look? Says reagent grade in the description but doesn’t seem to have it listed anywhere else on the package or otherwise

Attachments

• 488E9F2A-C269-4FDC-8670-6016CF62C8A8.png
    488E9F2A-C269-4FDC-8670-6016CF62C8A8.png
    399 KB · Views: 30

rueric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this thread to see which sodium nitrate folks are suggesting.
I've seen the amazon linked one, theres also one from sciencecompany, and loudwolf

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the amazon linked one, theres also one from sciencecompany, and loudwolf

If it is food or reagent ACS grade, it is fine.

A branded product like Loudwolf may carry more assurance that it is what it claims to be rather than an unbranded bag.

OP
OP
Boxofpurplerocks

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Boxofpurplerocks, did you buy this and have you set it up? I am considering the same, how much will you be dosing and what do you hope to raise it too?

corey

If it is food or reagent ACS grade, it is fine.

A branded product like Loudwolf may carry more assurance that it is what it claims to be rather than an unbranded bag.
I have not tried that Amazon bag yet… I’m a bit nervous on using the unbranded bag, even though the description says reagent grade. The loud wolf sodium nitrate is way more expensive though, so not sure how I want to proceed yet.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried that Amazon bag yet… I’m a bit nervous on using the unbranded bag, even though the description says reagent grade. The loud wolf sodium nitrate is way more expensive though, so not sure how I want to proceed yet.

There are other food grade choices at Amazon.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.sciencecompany.com/NSearch.aspx?keywords=sodium+nitrate

These seem cheaper then loudwolf

I would not prefer to use those as they do not carry the purity guarantee that comes from food or ACS reagent grade. Lab grade doesn’t have any specific meaning.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back