Mixing Station Build

Michael Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Just thought I'd see about starting my first build thread! Installing a SW mixing station in my attached garage. You can see the glow of my tank just up the stairs.

I purchased two Norwesco 65gal water tanks, a PanWorld 40PX pump, and various ball valves/pvc, etc. Planning to build a platform about 33" off the ground, to take advantage of storage underneath since I have such high ceilings in here.

Will mount my 5 stage RO/DI on the wall behind, and also put in a utility sink. Thinking I'll mount the sink right on the platform at the 33" height with a mount-in style sink.

Here's the area it will go, and my current shelf of gear, which may go right where it is, but with the wheels off.

Also, unrelated question: You can see I have some dry rock. What's the best way to prep that if I want to add to my sump/fuge/display for add'l bio filtration?

IMG_5309.jpeg

IMG_5311.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the rock in a bin with heated circulating saltwater and dump in a bottle of bacteria and let it run. This will seed the rock to add to your tank.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could explain the plumbing in your build as you progress through it, it would be helpful to me. Most people just say broad things like ‘I have it circulating from here to there by turning a valve.’ :)

z28reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy the tanks locally or online? Usually the prices seem to be reasonable but the shipping costs have always stopped me from ordering.

OP
OP
Michael Hull

Michael Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found them on agrisupply.com. Best I could find of the online sources. Got to me in less than a week.

OP
OP
Michael Hull

Michael Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my proposed layout. Tanks will be approx 30" off the ground. Hope to add in a sink to wright of tanks. This is an elevation view.

Would like to mount shelving/RO/DI to right of FW tank.

Thoughts? What else should I Be considering?

IMG_5326.jpeg

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine .. mine is similar set up in the part you erased on drawing . I have installed fittings where I can put water hose or python hose on.

image.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I'm sharing a picture of mine for an idea of what plumbing pieces you might need.
20190124_151013.jpg

Is there anything special in terms of plumbing required inside the salt mixing container? Or is sucking water from the bottom and returning it back through the top sufficient for mixing the salt with the water?

OP
OP
Michael Hull

Michael Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything special in terms of plumbing required inside the salt mixing container? Or is sucking water from the bottom and returning it back through the top sufficient for mixing the salt with the water?
I was thinking about making some kind of internal distribution piping for mixing, but not sure its necessary.

NPD_289

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did on the inside of the mixing container
20191014_133917.jpg

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucking water from bottom and circulating to top mixes the salt great. Not a problem ..my 2 tanks are 25 ft from my storage so I bought 3000 quiet one pumps to recirculate and pump to my tanks as seen in picture ..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back