Mixing station plumbing pictorial

  • Thread starter Thread starter danreef55
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2023
Messages
2,429
Reaction score
7,018
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The plumbing to create a mixing station can be confusing. A fellow member asked me to explain my set up, so I created this pictorial. I hope you find it useful.
1735666104804.png

1735666131359.png

NOTE: MIXING FRESH IS ONLY THERE BECAUSE IT IS TO BE USED WHEN 55 GALLONS OF SALT ISNT ENOUGH FOR AN URGENT NEED.
1735666173096.png

1735666192611.png

1735666211307.png


1735666230513.png

1735666252557.png
 
Last edited:
Thanks Jumbo it took for a while to figure it out too:)
 
Curious - where do you add salt in here, just pour it into the top?
If your mixing the Salt side, do you mix it to the correct ratio, or make it higher salinity to mix it with the fresh to create more water?

At the moment, i have a 100L drum that i fill with RO water, then turn the pump on and throw salt in to mix it together.

I do want to automate this to set up a AWC, but i'm confused by the need for one drum of salt and one drum of fresh - is this to transfer the fresh to the salt side, then re-fill with fresh RO (thats the only way it makes sense to me!)
 
Curious - where do you add salt in here, just pour it into the top?
If your mixing the Salt side, do you mix it to the correct ratio, or make it higher salinity to mix it with the fresh to create more water?

At the moment, i have a 100L drum that i fill with RO water, then turn the pump on and throw salt in to mix it together.

I do want to automate this to set up a AWC, but i'm confused by the need for one drum of salt and one drum of fresh - is this to transfer the fresh to the salt side, then re-fill with fresh RO (thats the only way it makes sense to me!)
The salt can raise the TDS if you use one vessel. I know approximately how much salt is needed to bring the water to the proper salinity (be sure it is up to temperature first). I flush the salt tank with RODI when I am done, and I keep the salt vessel full of fresh RODI . I don't plan on major water changes but in a pinch I would use both vessel for salt.
 
The salt can raise the TDS if you use one vessel. I know approximately how much salt is needed to bring the water to the proper salinity (be sure it is up to temperature first). I flush the salt tank with RODI when I am done, and I keep the salt vessel full of fresh RODI . I don't plan on major water changes but in a pinch I would use both vessel for salt.
I hadnt heard that before!
Makes sense though as you would have residual salt etc on the inside of the tank.

I think i was more confused as I was imagining the 2 drums being mixed together for some reason to make the Salt Water...but i get the plumbing is providing options to transfer water wherever it needs to go regardless of what is in each right?

If i'm right, you fill one with RODI, then transfer that to the other, or simply fill the other with RODI also before mixing salt?

Sorry for all the questions!
 
I hadnt heard that before!
Makes sense though as you would have residual salt etc on the inside of the tank.

I think i was more confused as I was imagining the 2 drums being mixed together for some reason to make the Salt Water...but i get the plumbing is providing options to transfer water wherever it needs to go regardless of what is in each right?

If i'm right, you fill one with RODI, then transfer that to the other, or simply fill the other with RODI also before mixing salt?

Sorry for all the questions!
Yes, you can transfer water between tanks. Look at the blue lines at the top of the tank. Those are rodi lines and there is a valve to select which tank to fill. You could also fill your fresh tank and pump it into the salt one. I don't mind questions actually I am surprised the pictorial hasn't gotten more visability
 
The pictorial is great! Makes it so much clearer to understand.

This is one of my 'to do' projects this year.
But first i need to run plumbing and water to that area so i can remove the RO unit and stuff from our Laundry :-).
 
The pictorial is great! Makes it so much clearer to understand.

This is one of my 'to do' projects this year.
But first i need to run plumbing and water to that area so i can remove the RO unit and stuff from our Laundry :).
Thank you. Take our time you will get it done
 
The plumbing to create a mixing station can be confusing. A fellow member asked me to explain my set up, so I created this pictorial. I hope you find it useful.
1735666104804.png

1735666131359.png

1735666173096.png

1735666192611.png

1735666211307.png


1735666230513.png

1735666252557.png
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. Very helpful!
 
I like the pictorial -- way quicker and easier than trying to find and watch a video (to me). Thanks.

One question -- when/why do you mix your fresh water tank?
*if/when I do something like this, I doubt I'd plumb for that, so just curious
 
I like the pictorial -- way quicker and easier than trying to find and watch a video (to me). Thanks.

One question -- when/why do you mix your fresh water tank?
*if/when I do something like this, I doubt I'd plumb for that, so just curious
It is there in case there is an unexpected incident requiring more than 55 gallons I would use the fresh vat to mix salt. sorry it is misleading
 
Hi, thank you for the excellent pictorial. I am trying to plan something like this, as well. Why the valve on the bottom in the center? It seems like it needs to be open for every procedure. Is there any need to close it? Thank you!
 
Hi, thank you for the excellent pictorial. I am trying to plan something like this, as well. Why the valve on the bottom in the center? It seems like it needs to be open for every procedure. Is there any need to close it? Thank you!
You are correct it isnt required
 
The plumbing to create a mixing station can be confusing. A fellow member asked me to explain my set up, so I created this pictorial. I hope you find it useful.
1735666104804.png

1735666131359.png

NOTE: MIXING FRESH IS ONLY THERE BECAUSE IT IS TO BE USED WHEN 55 GALLONS OF SALT ISNT ENOUGH FOR AN URGENT NEED.
1735666173096.png

1735666192611.png

1735666211307.png


1735666230513.png

1735666252557.png
Thank you for this pictorial. Putting mine together now. What kind of valve is used for the export of water to sump?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new